Recessed Lighting. Expert Advice Needed

johne62September 18, 2010

I am updating my family room and dining room. As part of the process my wife has decided she wants recessed lights. She likes the 4 inch size. What options do I have other than standard incandescent bulbs. I am trying to be as green as possible but since I need to install 18 fixtures cost is also an issue. I look forward to your reply

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
traciemarie

I don't fit your request for an expert, but as I was just starting to research recessed lights for myself recently, I found something called the Ecobulb Plus by Feit Electric. They have less mercury than normal CFLs, and even tout having less lead in the bulb reflector and screw area.

If you scroll down to ECObulb Plus Indoor Reflectors and Hard reflector sections on the link below, you might find something that will work with a 4".

Seems like these bulbs aren't available everywhere, but I saw them at a local hardware store. The site also says you can get them at some Lowes, Bed Bath Beyond, Costco, Walgreens. I would definitely talk to the person at the store to make sure they would work with your can.

In regards to cost, I was looking at some R30 for a 6" can. It was $20 for a pack of 4, if I remember correctly.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ecobulbplus.com/ecobulb_plus/ecobulbplus.html

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 2:26AM
johne62

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out. Does anyone have a good source for LED bulbs I would like to check those out as well. In looking online prices are all over the place

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 8:36PM
housavvy

This is the best price I've seen, for a LED w/ good output. However, it is for 6" cans.
Lithonia Reality LED Recessed Can Kit

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 12:35PM
johne62

Thanks, that's a great price. Will try to talk the wife into a larger can

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 9:01PM
David

You may want to look at the CREE CR6 series.
polar-ray - 64.99
Home Depot ~49.97

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 9:42PM
analysisparalysis

Definitely not an expert - but after much research, we've decided on the Cree CR6 in a 6" can that we bought for $4.75 - so a grand total of around $54/light (got the Crees at HD for $49.97).

Bookmark   September 26, 2010 at 12:25AM
johne62

Analysisparlysis - your total cost of $54/ light is impressive. Where where you able to find the cans so cheap?

Bookmark   September 26, 2010 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™