Staircase lighting

alyson79September 28, 2011

I have a very traditional cape home and I'm looking for suggestions for a light at the top of the stairs and a sconce for the wall you face walking down the stairs. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hello8

I have an older Mediterranean home and I am going to replace a single wall sconce with a Tech Lighting monorail system on the ceiling. It will be a different look, which may not suit your needs. Given that the top of our stairwell is partly enclosed, the track will not be entirely visible. The heads will illuminate the walls and the stairs. And, I'll be able to place a large wall hanging right where the sconce is located currently. Also, with the monorail I could easily switch to pendants in future, which I like but they are too costly for me at the moment.

Our current sconce shines light directly at your face as you approach the stairs. At one point, when I was considering alternate sconces for this area, I saw that Kichler had some nice ones that project light from the top and the bottom.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 5:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alyson79

Should I try to coordinate the sconce on the staircase wall & light at the top of the steps... any suggestions for a nice set? I'm looking for something simple and traditional. thanks!

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Sylvania vs. EcoSmart retrofit
I have seen these two brands compared many times with...
linae
looking for some direction choosing leds for family room
I want to add some recessed led lights to the family...
gwald
Lighting for small walk in closet
Hello, We are about ready to build our master closet....
Anthony
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™