juno 5' recessed led or cree cr6

dboxmeyerSeptember 9, 2010

When expressed interest in installing LED recessed lights as part of a kitchen remodel I mentioned the CREE LR6 that I have read about here as well as have seen in a local lighting store.

The electrician is recommending these:

http://www.prolighting.com/juic5ledreho.html

He says since we are putting up a new ceiling, we should look at lights built for new construction as I'm not limited to retrofit solutions like the CREE. He seemed to think the Juno were better, although I'm not sure why.

Any thoughts here as to why I'd prefer the Juno (which seems to be about $150 per) over either the CREE LR6 with a compatible housing? Better yet, I just discovered the CREE CR6 is being sold at Home Depot (for $50 per plus the cost for a housing) which has excellent dimming performance. Should I ignore my electrician's input and insist on the CREE or go with his Juno suggestion? If I go with CREE, any reason to not go with the HD version of the CR6?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

CREE lights can be used for new construction too. The LR6 can fit into title 24 cans (with the GU24 base).

I would go with the HD CR6 if you can use edison base lights. If you're subject to title 24 like laws, you need to use the GU24 base which is currently not available from HD.

The other resellers (polar-ray) of CREE CR6 lights have a higher list price ($65), but the warranty period is longer.

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
Recessed Surface lights vs. Cans
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between...
linae
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™