What is a good source for landscape and deck ideas?

Lake_GirlJanuary 15, 2014

We have a couple of projects for the new year. Our house is a reproduction farmhouse style, so I'd like to keep that look in mind. I need websites or sources, or suggestons of places to look to get ideas. I work so much better with an inspiration picture(s).

1)The first is to redo a pathway between the deck and garage, and expand the parking area around the garage. So I'm not sure if we should lay more cement or look at other options.

2)Next, we want to try to lower our deck on the back of the house, and in the process remove the railings. I really like the look of a deck without a lot of railing, but it is currently too high to not have a railing. We want to try to reuse the existing deck and lower it.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

Pinterest

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 2:10PM
teacats

Another vote for Pinterest -- you don't have to join -- just click onto this link -- go on over -- and type in the search feature at the top of the page .... LOTS of ideas there! Especially for DIY -- just click on a specific photo -- and you'll go to the original site -- like a blog posting ....

Plus you may want to check out magazine websites -- like Better Homes & Gardens and Sunset ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- garden pathways

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 2:22PM
outsideplaying_gw

The Sunset series of soft copy books are a good resource. You can find them at the big box stores or also at most bookstores. Don't know where you live, but you can sometimes go to some home shows in late winter and garden tours in spring to get good ideas. And of course there is always Houzz.....

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 2:31PM
teacats

Here's a pin board selection for "low deck" .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- low decks

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 2:49PM
Annie Deighnaugh

We didn't have the option of lowering the deck so we went with glass railing instead so as not to block the view.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 3:08PM
luckygal

I've found many inspiring landscape pictures on Houzz. You can refine the search further according to style and location. You can also find local professional landscape designers and tradespeople there if you decide to hire help with your project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz photos outdoor

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 3:12PM
Lake_Girl

I had looked at Houzz, but I'm not sure I'm putting the correct words in the search box. But I'll keep trying different search words and see what comes up. The same with Pinterest. I had not put in "low decks", I was searching "decks without rails". Thanks for the link teacats, and for all the suggestions so far. The deck will most likely by DIY. I wonder if there's anyone out there who has tackled something similar to either of these project.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 4:10PM
cyn427

Of course, you could check out the porches and decks forum here on GW as well as some of the gardening and landscaping forums. You can search for specific topics such as lowering a deck or start a thread with your questions. There are lots of very helpful 'outdoor' people around here who could advise you

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 7:52PM
patty_cakes

I did my backyard a couple of years ago, and couldn't have done it w/o houzz. Pinterest is great, but I found more of what I wanted on houzz.

Try to be as precise as possible with your wording. I'm posting a link for 'landscape pathways' and if you want brick, flagstone, or cement, be specific with the medium you want to use. Same for decking.

Here is a link that might be useful: pathways

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 8:23PM
patty_cakes

I did my backyard a couple of years ago, and couldn't have done it w/o houzz. Pinterest is great, but I found more of what I wanted on houzz.

Try to be as precise as possible with your wording. I'm posting a link for 'landscape pathways' and if you want brick, flagstone, or cement, be specific with the medium you want to use. Same for decking.

Here is a link that might be useful: pathways

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
Help me style my living room!
I have no idea what to pair with this tan couch. I...
homestyles2
Ellen's Design Challenge final - spoiler alert
Spoilers below -- but, I really want to know the answer. I...
edie_thiel
Appliances in. Please help me pick lights.
(It’s me. I've wanted to change my name for a while...
misformink
Is Restoration Hardware bedding worth it?
I've been searching for the perfect white quilt for...
artydecor
My anniversary gift
Got a new piece of furniture the other day. Well sort...
the_foxes_pad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™