product recommendations for cree cr6-800l

djiaoSeptember 14, 2012

I've decided to use CREE CR6-800L LED recessed lights for my above ground basement (Thank you for the recommendation from this Forum). Can you help me recommend the following products that will work well with my CR6-800L? This basement will be primary used to watch TV, poker/games, a workout area for my husband.

1. Housing (not a new construction).

2. 4" down lights to light the built-in shelves on either end of the fireplace. I know CREE has CR4, but they only come in 575L, I worry that it will look weird if I use 800L everywhere else. Are there MR-16 LEDs that would work well with the CR6-800L?

3. I'd like the 4" down lights to wash over the built-in shelves. What works well? Eyeballs, Gimbal? or this adjustable trim?

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/juno-4-inch-low-voltage-adjustable-angle-recessed-light-trim__87104.html

Thanks a bunch y'all!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lee676

1) Most 6" housings will work - Cree has an LR6 compatibility listing on their website, but I can't find one for the CR6 or CR4. I haven't run into one that didn't work, occasionally with minor and easy modification like bending a wire or removing an piece intended to hold a separate trim bezel in place, but many as is.

2) the CR4 won't look weird at all next to an CR6-800L, because the smaller surface area of the CR4 makes it look much brighter than the 575L version of the CR6 when you look up at it, despite giving off the same amount of light. I haven't seen a 800L CR6 yet, but I'm guessing it will match in appearance with the CR4 better than the 575L version does.

3) Don't know here, but a halogen MR16 tends to be about 2900K which matches the 2700K CR4/CR6 well. For LED MR16s, look for a 2700K model with the best possible color rendering (CRI). Prefer gimbals to eyeballs for aesthetic reasons, and traditional wall washers eat up some of the light given off by the omnidirectional light bulb.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 8:42PM
djiao

I'm confused about what type of housing to buy that will fit Cree-CR4s. Home Depot sells a Halo 4" CFL Insulation Contact Air-Tite Remodel Housing. Will that work?

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 12:10AM
David

No. The base has to be either a E26 medium base or GU24.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 2:16AM
djiao

davidtay, who makes a 4" IC Remodel housing that will work with Cree-CR4-E26? I'm having trouble finding one.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 2:36AM
David

Possible candidate for consideration
Halo 4" LED Retrofit Housing - H995RICAT

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 12:32AM
djiao

Thank you, I'm going to give this a try.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 10:48AM
stephenkyu

The Halo H995RICAT isn't going to work. It uses Halo's own LED connector and not the standard E26 socket.

If you need to use a IC-rated remodel can, you probably need to switch to the GU24 version of the Cree CR4 and use the Liton LH99RICA-LLF-GU24.

The Liton remodel can is the first one I've seen with a loose GU24 socket which works well with the Cree CR4. Some of the other remodel cans have a fixed GU24 socket and the leads on the CR4 aren't quite long enough.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
Sylvania vs. EcoSmart retrofit
I have seen these two brands compared many times with...
linae
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?
GW, Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is...
AndrewDK
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™