upgrade from cfl to led in juno icpl626en downlights?

wws944September 16, 2011

We have several of the Juno ICPL626EN downlights which provide a ballast for a 26 watt triple tube CFL. (Currently using Sylvania CF26DT/E 841 bulbs.) In several of the locations, the slow warm up time is very annoying, and duty cycle is fairly short. It would be great to upgrade them to use LED bulbs. Unfortunately, there is no access to the fixtures from above - which means simple replacement of the housings is not an option.

Dimming is not a requirement. So it would be nice to find something that 'looks' like a CFL to the ballast.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

The ballast should be disconnected before switching to LED lamps like the CR6.

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 2:00AM
David

When retrofitting LED to a CFL can or any fluorescent fixture, the ballast needs to be disconnected first.

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 4:34PM
wws944

Appreciate the replies!

My problem is that I can not access the fixtures from the top. So I don't think there is an easy way, from the underside, to disconnect the ballast. But would really like to be proven wrong...

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 12:18AM
David

Options
1. Cut through the ceiling, rewire the can and patch the hole.
2. Cut out the can in place and replace it with a retrofit housing w/o a ballast. Think of it like keyhole surgery.
3. Cut through the can to the ballast compartment.

The first is the most straight forward and probably the easiest (practical)
The last is the least likely to succeed and would most likely result in either option 2 or 1 being taken in the end.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 10:42AM
wws944

One of these triple tube CFLs burned out today. It is in a bathroom location which gets switched on/off a lot and not really on for long times. So rather than paying $10-$15 for a new bulb, I spent $25 for a new CR-6.

It turns out one can get to the guts of these lights by pulling out the trim, unscrewing three hex head screws with a 1/4" socket wrench, then sliding the interior of the can downwards. Next unscrew the two screws holding the ballast cover on. The ballasts mounting plate simply unclips - providing access to the wiring.

I drilled a new hole in the can to route new wires, using a grommet to protect the wires from sharp edges. Disconnected the ballast, wired up an Edison socket (sorry Title 24 buffs) and reassembled.

Works great. I did go from a 1700 lumen bulb (considering light loss in fixture, this number is effectively reduced quite a bit) to a 575 lumen bulb. However this area quite small so it isn't that big a deal. But I think if I do some of the others in my house I would use the new 800 lumen CR6.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
how many lamps in a bathroom heat lamp?
Bathroom is about 140sq5 ft. What do you'll think?...
growingadvice
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
judydenver
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Sponsored Products
Acrylic Yellow Mason Jar Sipper with Straw
Classic Hostess
Modern Flat TV Coffee Table
| Italy Design
La Vie en Bleu Art Print
| Dot & Bo
Flat Chrome Modern Heated Bathroom Towel Radiator 59 x 23.5 & Valves
Hudson Reed
Leucos | Disk Low Voltage Recessed Lighting
$183.60 | YLighting