Should I Add STPP To My Loads

Ducs_Of_HazzardNovember 11, 2011

Hi There!

My wife and I just bought a new Washer and Dryer. We bought a LG WM3885HCCA and DLEX3885C. We have a whole home Water Softener. And we are using Persil Megapearls (Universal & Colors).

I was wondering if adding a teaspoon or two of STPP to our loads would increase the cleaning power. I know a lot of people recommend STPP for hard water but we have a softener. Would adding it hurt anything? Can you use it on colors and whites (Just not Delicates)? I typically put 2 tablespoons of Persil in our washes. Also can anyone recommend a good prewash detergent?

Thanks In Advance!

Marcus

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Adding STPP surely won't hurt anything. It's not bleach so yes, can be used on delicates and colors. Only you can decide if your laundry situation could benefit from a cleaning boost, perhaps by giving it a try.

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 4:41PM
livebetter

Is the purpose of STPP not to soften hard water?? If so, why would someone with soft water need it? Water that is too soft can be troublesome as well. Soft water does not rinse as well as hard water.

I know there have been other threads here re: STPP.

My thought is it is not necessary. Do you feel like things are not getting clean?

How do you like your WM3885?? It was on my short list. I ended up purchasing the Miele W4842/T9822 but I really liked those WM3885 units.

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 4:54PM
dadoes

Water softening is a large part of STPP, but it does help "power" the wash water beyond just softening.

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 6:56PM
sshrivastava

STPP is absolutely not needed if you are using a whole house water softener. While STPP has some minor benefits beyond simply softening water, you are already receiving those benefits with the detergent + soft water combo. I honestly think it's a waste. Are your clothes not coming out clean?

Bookmark   November 12, 2011 at 11:43AM
dualref

On dirty loads clothes come out clean using detergent, but come out cleaner using STTP. I have found that when STTP is added to the laundry during wash a lot of stains and such that detergents alone won't touch will come out.

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 6:16AM
Nunyabiz1

Probably shouldn't need it with a water softener.

We have hard water, although it is usually in the very low range as far as "Hard" is gauged.
this month is was at 114PPM.

But anyway we use the Sodium Tripolyphosphate (STPP) in our Dishwasher, just a 1/4 teaspoon.
and sometimes might add a teaspoon to the laundry for dirty whites.

Best place I have found it is at a place called "Soapgoods".

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapgoods

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 3:07PM
nerdyshopper

I think the only benefit from using STPP you would get is chelating stain elements like Iron and making the wash water more alkaline. Citric acid could also chelate iron if needed. Washing soda would serve to make the water more alkaline. You are using a premium detergent. If that isn't working to your satisfaction why not just try another or plain old Tide.

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
i just want somebody to fix my speed queen!!!!!!
So the timer has been acting up on my AWN542 for a...
beaglenc
Laundry room reveal
We just updated our laundry/mud room after years of...
kooopons
Removing ink on silk?
Anyone knows how to remove ink on silk. Much appreciated....
yugoslava
Need help with LR/Mudroom/PR arrangement
We are breaking ground in 3-4 weeks and we still haven't...
daboyd4
2015 washer/dryer
I just bought a new house and need a washer/dryer....
Jason Burroughs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™