Please critique my lighting layout

dhustonSeptember 23, 2011

Here is my first draft of my lighting layout for my kithcen, living room, dining room, and porch. Please tell me what you think. I am concerned about not having enough light. I can always add dimmers later. Ceilings are ten feet high. Fans in living room will have lights. Fans on porch will probably not. Concerned about strobe light effect from cans around the fans. How far should they be apart? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

At first glance, it looks ok.

Are you using 4" cans?

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 2:59PM
dhuston

Planning on 6 inch cans. Would love to do CR6's but running on a tight budget so I dont think that is going to be possible right now. Saw some at HD yesterday for 40 bucks! Hoping they will keep going down and I can do it later on room by room. On that note, I was planning on using some lutron dimmers will they work with the CR6?

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 2:06PM
David

Why so many cans then?

I would aim for ~ 20 lumens per sq ft for the areas outside the kitchen. I would also assume an output of 350 - 400 lumens per bulb on the fans with lights and count the output towards the total light output per room.
The diva cl (for led and fluorescents) works well.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 8:16PM
dhuston

Thanks so much for your help. What spacing would you recommend on the 6 in cans for outside the kitchen? Also, how far away should i keep them from the fans to avoid the strobe light effect. Ceilings are ten feet.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 1:18PM
David

About 30" to 32" from the wall and about 4 ft apart. The strobe effect will not be noticable so long as the lights are not directly above the fan blades.

I would imagine for the living room ~ 4 across the 17' span and no more than 5 for the 22 ft side. Total num of cans ~ 15 - 13.
If you assume all the light coming from the cans -15 (500 lumens per can) for ~20 lumens per sq ft.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Need advice regarding Halo LED recessed lights!
So, our new house is almost finished - it's our first...
Nick Anderson
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
Pixi Lighting
Has anyone used the pixi lighting yet? It seems like...
stlblufan
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™