SpeedQueen rips clothes

WashMe887November 25, 2012

I got a Speed Queen 542 about 3 years ago. Wanted simple, non electronic, reliable, quality etc. Generally happy. I do notice, however, that it tends to rip holes in some clothes, some of the time. Not all, not everytime. I would go full delicate for wash and spin, but then everything comes out pretty wet and takes forever to dry. Wondered if anyone has had this problem, and any suggestions? I hate having to shop for new washer all over again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dualref

Make sure you zip zippers shut, button clothing up before adding to the washer. And don't overload the unit either.
This should resolve your problems.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 3:16PM
SparklingWater

Hmm, I haven't experienced this problem since my SQ FL purchase in May '12. Maybe because I wash the towels, heavier clothes on bulky but try not to overload. Haven't bothered closing zippers or buttoning. On bulky it's less rpm's for spin then on regular (750 vs 1000 I believe). Lots of water in there (I think 13 gallons per wash), so the clothes and towels get pretty admixed with the water before the spin and while they are slightly heavier, it seems the SQ dryer works efficiently to take the water out without extra time for mine.

Have you checked your stainless steel cage to see if anything sharp is present? Perhaps something got caught up in it? You might wish to call SQ directly. Their customer service is very helpful.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 5:46PM
dadoes

SparklingWater, 542 is a toploader.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 6:36PM
jakvis

I don't follow the love that some in GW put on SQ Top Loaders as agitators tend to be rougher on clothes especially when overloaded.

I recommend that you reduce your load size to ensure that the clothes are freely moving down through the middle and up on the outside (turn-over). This will reduce the abuse that paddles will have on the clothing.
Your turnover rate should be at about 30 seconds or less (some say 1 minute or less) for an item to go from top to bottom to top again.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 2:59PM
oregpsnow

This is why I love my FL - easy on the clothes and they come out of the washer almost dry. Sometimes simple and non-electronic isn't better.

Hopefully smaller loads will help you. Be sure and turn clothes with zippers inside out after zipping them up and use lingerie bags for delicate knits and undies.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 3:40PM
bonesoda

I have had similar experience with speed queen... destroys clothes, destroys clothes with elastic etc etc.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 9:26PM
oasisowner

Very strange, we have found that our Speed Queen AWN432 is sooooo much gentler on clothes than either of the HE top loaders we previously had.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 9:44AM
mrb627

I imagine any machine used improperly can and will cause fabric damage.

MRB

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 11:43AM
bonesoda

how does one use a washing machine "improperly". There is very little room for error... the only pre-requisite is you throw in clothes only, no pots pans or bricks.

As long as there are only clothes in there and you know how to press a button and throw in laundry soap... rest is upto the machine.

Unless i am missing a key component of doing laundry i stick with the use clothes only, laundry soap and colours vs whites and that's it.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 5:49PM
dadoes

There are many errors the user can make.

Sorting incorrectly, mixing items that should not be washed together. Fabrics that are not dye-stable may bleed, even in cold water. Heavy denim jeans should not be washed with stretchy knits, for example. Open zippers, snaps, and other fasteners can snag even when like-items are washed together.

Inappropriate cycle settings ... too aggressive wash action for the fabric or garment type ... damaging water temperature on items that can shrink ... insufficient water level on a manual-selection toploader ... too high spin speed causing excess wrinkling ... the list goes on ...

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 6:05PM
bonesoda

Nods. With my speedqueen it was rough on garments even when all clothes were aggressively sorted.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
Vibration reduction in compact washers - Whirlpool vs. Asko?
We recently moved into a new house and are considering...
mannyzen76
New Electrolux washing machine
Hi, I just got a new 70 series front load washer. When...
hollowayl
Laundry room
I have been digging through the forums but am still...
mwinfield
speed queen awn 542 and adg3lr dryer
Just purchased Speed Queen AWN 542 and ADG3LR Dryer Great...
bcsnave
Tried vinegar method to stretch shrunk wool pants but failed
Two 100% sweaters and one pair of 65% wool with 35%...
jjjjade H
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™