Rewiring a ceiling fan to take medium base bulbs

jockewingSeptember 27, 2010

It is so frustrating trying to find ceiling fans with sufficient lighting! I have a fan that I just love the style of, but it only takes 2 60 watt candelabra base bulbs. Is it possible that I could just change out the porcelain sockets from the candelabra size to the medium size bases of the same wattage? It seems like even at the same wattage, you can find regular sized light bulbs that put out much more light than a candelabra base.

I assume I would just have to buy the medium size bases, cut the wires and rewire the bases. My biggest challenge would be making sure the larger sized bulbs would fit inside the fan's glass shade.

I found a blog where someone successfully did this, wanted to know your thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

If you can find a way to mount the larger sockets, and if they physically fit into the housing, maybe. However, you will probably void any warranty the fan has. You'll void its UL listing, too, as is the case with any substantial modification.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 12:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"You'll void its UL listing, too, as is the case with any substantial modification."

And this is an issue why?

Use UL rated parts for the new sockets.

You will not get significantly more actual light from a medium base 60 W bulb than from a candelabra based 60 W bulb though.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
If we need to do smaller 3 inch recessed lights in a shower ....
Hi everyone, We are trying to work out if we can put...
ontariomom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™