Solatube owners...which lens to get?

hondagirlSeptember 2, 2009

I plan on purchasing a solatube shortly but I'm not sure which lens to get. There are 4 choices. I have seen the standard lens but I find that the light emitted is very bright. There are 3 other choices and my sales rep is not very helpful in explaining the difference. I would like the light to be as close as possible to natural sunlight.

Which lens would be the closest to sunlight..... the warm, softening or warm softening lens?

If you have a solatube, which lens did you get? Are you happy with the light quality?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bignick

I don't have a Solatube, but just in case no one comes up with real world advice, here's my input.

The warm lenses are tinted. The softening lenses are diffuse. So the difference between the standard and the softening would be like the difference between a clear light bulb and a frosted light bulb.

Since you don't want the color of the light to be altered, I would go with the softening lens. It's not going to make it any less 'bright', but it will have less glare. If you want less light and not alter the color, you would have to have *less* light. Solatube has their Daylight Dimmer which is an internal butterfly to control the amount of light.

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 7:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hondagirl

Thanks, bignick for your info. It is helpful.

Anyone else who owns a solatube, I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
recessed lighting suggestions
I'm having recessed lights installed in two rooms this...
evanderleeuw
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™