recessed LEDs--4 or 6 inch?

tortybeansSeptember 11, 2010

I'm having a bit of a last minute lighting situation. My contractor informed me last night that I need to have the recessed lights ready on Monday. He told me that he's going to get the housing for the lights, but looking at the one he selected it's only for incandescent bulbs (the Halo H99ICT 4-inch). I'm nearly positive we want LEDs and told him that. But when I look at the big box stores online, the only housings they have for LEDs are for 6 inch. The kitchen is small (13x8 feet); given that size, will the 6-inch recessed lights be too much? We will also be installing LED undercabinet lights (thanks to this forum!). If we go 6-inch, I will get the EcoSmart LEDs made by Cree from Home Depot, but I can't seem to find those in a 4-inch option.

If 6-inch is too big and I should use the 4-inch, what is the next best light source to look at? Or do I make the contractor wait while I order what I need?

I've spent hours over the past couple of weeks reading all of the great information here; thanks to everyone for your input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

There are CREE LR4 lights. These can be found at the website I've linked to.

The price is ~ $178 (housing + trim + LED lamp module).

The price for a LR6 is ~ $90+.

If you need to use non edison base modules, the HD version of the CR6 will not do.

Here is a link that might be useful: LR4 polar-ray

Bookmark   September 11, 2010 at 12:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lightguy

I second Davidtay's comment. The CREE LR4 is a good second option. Although it really is closer to a 5" opening rather than a 4". But it's still smaller than the 6".

Bookmark   September 11, 2010 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
Sylvania vs. EcoSmart retrofit
I have seen these two brands compared many times with...
linae
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™