Whole wheat flour shelf life?

SnailLoverJuly 2, 2014

I used this on dog biscuits at least 5 years ago. The bag has been sitting in the cupboard ever since. I've run across some other pet recipes--snail food and bird suet--that call for whole wheat flour. Wondering if I can still use it? Seems like it would go bad after awhile, but how do you tell? Looks and smells the same. I know I'm cheap, but I hate to waste things. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

Because whole wheat flour has the wheat germ included, it is possible for the oil in the wheat germ to go rancid over time. I'd toss this bag and start with a fresh one. Keep the bag sealed well and in the fridge or freezer until you need it again.

I keep most all my grains such as cornmeal, polenta, bulgur, oat bran, wheat germ etc. in the freezer and add it to recipes straight in, cold and all. I think barley and rice are the only grains that I keep in the pantry, in glass jars with tight lids.

Hope this helps,
Teresa

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 9:47PM
publickman

Normal shelf life for whole wheat flour would be about six months - I go through a bag in less than two months, but if it took me longer, I would store it in the freezer.

After two years, it is certainly unusable, and it should be thrown out. Right now, your flour is wasting space.

Lars

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 9:48PM
SnailLover

Thank you for the replies. I'll toss it and store in the freezer next time!

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 10:30PM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

You should toss it.
However, strange observation.
I'm incredibly sensitive the the flavor of peroxides. I've had bag of planters peanuts that were too rancid for me to eat, even though the expiration date was well in the future. (Btw one of the reasons Hubs are so tasty is they fry them in a mix including coconut oil, which is very oxidation resistant almost to the point of acting as an "antioxidant", and it helps to preserve the natural flavor of the peanuts)
However I was making a lot of pizzas back around 2010/2011 and bought too much whole wheat flour, especially the KA white whole wheat. Some of it I froze, but I still have some that's now almost 3 years old. I do keep it in a snap-closed plastic container. That probably helps. But I still make pancakes using that, and I swear, there's not a bit of rancid taste at all. I've even smelled and tasted the raw flour to be sure. Nothing, zilch, nada. I think maybe the fact it's enclosed as well as the density of the flour limits the degree to which oxygen can get in there: oxidation require an oxygen molecule be around, after all. (Unless I were subjecting it to pure chlorine gas...but that's pretty uncommon in kitchens LOL)

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
Hello
Wow, I haven't been here in a long time. I had an...
scott55405
Need T&T recipe for Parmesan Broth
Anyone have a tried and true recipe for Parmesan broth?...
bbstx
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
Photobucket Photos - Plllog - Annie
Hey there, I didn't forget to post PB photos for you....
solsthumper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™