gap between pier and post mount light

drmeow3August 14, 2010

Hi all,

I have a post mount light on a brick pier. I just replaced the light and the new light has a slightly shallower base than the old one. As a result, there is a gap between the top of the pier and the bottom of the lamp (click on the picture to see a bigger copy):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm trying to figure out a way to fill in the gap (right now it's about 1/4" - it can be made bigger by lifting up the lamp a bit if there is an option for filling a larger space).

I was going to fill in the space with with a siliconized acrylic caulk and paint it but ... honestly I find caulk to be a bit of a pain to work with in a situation like this and it seems like a bit large of an area to fill with caulk (1/4" high, 3/8" deep, about 11" around). I'm also not sure how much of a pain it would make removing the light at a later date.

I thought about putting a post mount adapter there but I suspect the post mount is a bit tall and the adapter would have a huge gap, too.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fill in the space?

I've cross-posted this on the home repair forum, too.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

That IS kind of annoying. It's also a great place for yellowjackets to move in.

Could you use a hacksaw to shorten the top of the existing mount? Just be careful of the wiring. Maybe wrap it with a few layers of duct tape before starting.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 10:34PM
drmeow3

YIPES - I hadn't even thought of yellowjackets! Shudder!

Someone at the home repair forum suggested cutting the top of the existing mount but I wasn't sure how ... duh, a hacksaw. I actually knew that. I guess I could try it but the existing mount seemed pretty thick. And, of course, now that it's attached, my motivation to lift it back off is really low, especially since unless I get up a lot earlier than I can usually manage (i.e., at 5 or 6 am), the temp ranges from 90 - 108! The thought of standing out in the heat sawing away with a hacksaw makes me think "There's got to be a better way!"

At the home repair forum someone recommended that I put backer rod in the gap first then cover it with caulk. Since the existing mount pretty effectively supports the weight of the lamp :), I don't need to put anything there which provides support so I think I might try this option. Or maybe I'll do it temporarily till the weather cools then try the hacksaw route.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 11:31PM
DavidR

Whacking the top off of it would go a lot quicker and easier with a Sawzall or equivalent. Makes a nice excuse to add one to the toolbox. :)

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
Is it ok to install ceiling lights in the slab itself?
I'm getting a new house built and trying to figure...
pursuitofhome
Retrofitting off-sized recessed lighting with LEDs-Help?
We are renovating our just-purchased apartment and...
lindy74
Recessed Lighting Layout for Kitchen
Hi, everyone. I know this is asked all the time, but...
firefox15
Rosette on slanted dining room ceiling?
Moved into a resale which has a dining room fixture...
Barb P
Sponsored Products
Halcyon 12-light Nickel Chandelier
Overstock.com
Progress Lighting Ceiling Fans AirPro Signature 54 in. Antique Bronze Ceiling
Home Depot
Larkspur Amber Tech Lighting Mini Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
Silk Floor Lamp in White
$349.00 | LexMod
Light Green Wood Box Set
$59.99 | zulily