My Cree can lights are changing color

duluthjeffAugust 14, 2014

We put six cree ceiling can lights in our kitchen when we built 5 years ago. They are the 2700K (warm white) models. In the last few months, first one, and now several of them suddenly change from their normal light color to a rose-colored light after being switched on for several minutes. Cooking has become a psychedelic experience!

Obviously, the blue component in the LED 'light engine' (or whatever they call it) is failing. Has anyone else had similar problems with Cree lights? I bought them because of their low power use per lumen, and expected (wrongly it seems) that they would outlive me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthjeff

Really? Over the past five years on this forum there are usually at least two active threads about Cree downlights. Hasn't anyone experienced a loss of white balance but me? I guess I'm special!

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 3:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wws944

I have 30+ of the CR6 units in my house. The 2700K units have been fine. The 5000K have been another story. I've had a number of the 5000K units fail after a few months. They start 'pulsing'. Home Depot has been fine exchanging them with new ones, but in any event it is a PITA. Various reviewers reviewers have said the same on the HD web site.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
Alternative to pot/can lights
Spoke to my GC yesterday and he suggested that I use...
abbabug
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™