FL washer with mechanical controls?

bernseNovember 27, 2011

My folks live in a place with poor power, and it always seems to run on the high side, pushing 130V. They and the other people that live close to them have a hard time keeping their new-ish washers alive as the electrics die in them. After many talks to the power officials who are in denial about a power problem, they're resigned to live with it.

Is there still a FL made that has mostly mechanical controls? I know that the old Frigemore FLs do, but not sure about others. I know that most (all?) with boards will convert to DC, but some seem less able to cope. Whirlpool/Maytag for sure as those are the ones that are dying all the time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

After many talks to the power officials who are in denial about a power problem, they're resigned to live with it.If 130v is MEASURED and confirmed at your outlets, then there's nothing questionable or deniable about it. The power company is saying that 130v is within allowable parameters?

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 3:15PM
gates1

I think speed queen makes a front loaders with mechanical controls, check their website

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 9:03AM
dadoes

Current Speed Queen frontloaders that I've seen have electronic controls. The dial is rotary, but it's a selector for the control board, not a mechanical timer.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 10:59AM
bernse

I've been thinking about this, a bit more. I think a high quality washer with a good quality power inverter/control board might be good enough. The Maytag/Whirlpool ones aren't obviously cut out for it, but maybe a commercial rated one would be?

If 130v is MEASURED and confirmed at your outlets, then there's nothing questionable or deniable about it. The power company is saying that 130v is within allowable parameters?
No, my outlets are probably closer to 110V. My in-laws however are 129-130V and the power company said it is within their standards. Their neighbors are approximately the same as well (127-129). It really hasn't been a huge issue as only their Whirlpool washer has bit the dust and other appliances seem OK and have been in use (for the most part) for years.

This is not mainland US or Canada. It is an island in the Caribbean that the power company uses diesel generators to create the AC. They do however buy their stuff in Florida.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Laundry room
I have been digging through the forums but am still...
mwinfield
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
Sad FS discovery
I've never been one to over think the use of FS. I...
andi2928
2015 washer/dryer
I just bought a new house and need a washer/dryer....
Jason Burroughs
Eco Nuts Laundry Detergent
Has anyone here used these before. Saw them on Shark...
brentb21
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™