Decision on LED or Incandescent Can Lights

Jack MasonAugust 10, 2014

Hi all, we have just finished framing our new construction home on the Florida Gulf Coast. I have about 60 can lights (AT-IC)

My current electrical bid includes the can trim as well as conventional incandescent bulbs. I don't think I will get much credit back and if I do a change order and I'm pretty sure the cost of the LED's might be pretty high.

I'm wondering if I should just let the electrician do his normal install and then replace the incandescent bulbs as time and technology moves on.

I was thinking about first replacing the kitchen, hallway, bathroom and other high use areas first and then address the other lights later on.

Good strategy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

Recessed lighting can be broken down into 3 major components
1. The housing.
2. The bulb.
3. The trim ring.

The typical trim ring used in standard recessed lighting costs ~ $5 to above $10 (depending on the style...).

A Cree CR6 or CR4 come with an attached trim ring. Depending on location, a CR6 may cost ~ $25.

They are readily available at your local Home Depot.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 1:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
markmanduca

The LED trims are usually pretty pricey, I couldn't believe that I saw them at Costco for $14.99 here in California.

I have LED cans in my kitchen that I like a lot, I would just make sure that they are dimmable if you decide to go with the LED options.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 3:35AM
More Discussions
recessed lighting suggestions
I'm having recessed lights installed in two rooms this...
evanderleeuw
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™