Low voltage outdoor lighting

billf_farmerAugust 1, 2010

We have 4 low voltage light fixtures on our walkway. They're Nightscaping GD-1606 Quadliters, about 10 years old, and have been nothing but trouble. Hoods difficult to remove, bulbs difficult to replace.

Recently one of the fixtures stopped working, for no apparent reason. The bayonet bulb is good, and is the proper voltage. I cleaned the bulb contacts and fixture contacts with emory cloth. I used a multitester to see if there is voltage to the contacts, and there is about 12V, just like there is to the other 3 fixtures, yet the bulb still will not illuminate. Any ideas?

I can't imagine there's anything wrong with the transformer, or more fixtures would be affected. Also, no one has done any digging near the underground wires, so I don't think they got nicked. Makes no sense that the fixture is getting 12 volts, according to my tester, yet the bulb will not light.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

I can think of two.

1. The spring for the center contact in the socket has weakened or corroded, and no longer makes full contact with the bulb contact.

2. The fixture has a loose or corroded connection inside or where the run connects to it. A high impedance digital voltmeter may read full voltage with a high resistance connection, but that connection won't pass enough current to light the bulb. Try testing with a cheap 12 volt incandescent light tester from the auto parts store.

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
Dining Room Lighting - Pendant too large?
I would like to remove my 6-globe chandelier and replace...
cubby325
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™