Evaporated milk vs. regular milk in no-bake cookies

jennJuly 25, 2014

I have a recipe for no-bake cookies (made in a saucepan on the stove, then dropped by spoonfuls onto a tray to set) that calls for evaporated milk. I don't have evaporated milk, so I'm wondering what's the worst that might happen if I use regular milk. I know the difference in the milks -- I'm just asking if the texture of the cookies might be wetter, sweeter, or what.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jsvrn

Jenn,
I have only ever used regular milk which is what my recipe called for. My cookies have always turned out. Hope this helps
Jackie

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:33PM
annie1992

jenn, I've used evaporated milk in no bake cookies, also in fudge and baked goods.

I can't tell the difference in taste, the chocolate and peanut butter in my cookies are assertive enough that the evaporated milk isn't a taste factor, in my opinion.

Annie

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:51PM
plllog

Evaporated milk just has less water in it. It's more important if your milk has less fat than regular, and, in fact, non-fat evaporated milk is often used in recipes as a substitute for full fat fresh milk.

If you want to evaporate your milk, just heat it gently and let it reduce. Best way is in a glass vessel in a saucepan with water on low simmer, stirring fairly regularly, but for cookies, you could probably just put it in a non-reactive pan right on the heat and stir a little more.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:52PM
jenn

Thank you for your replies.

I may try evaporating my milk and see how it turns out. However, I am very pressed for time.

What if I reduce the amount of milk by 1-2 Tbsp. and add the same amount of butter?

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:42PM
annie1992

jenn, I wouldn't bother to reduce the milk or the amount, I think it's fine, but I don't think it would hurt to swap some milk with butter either. I often switch skim and whole milk, use milk instead of cream, evaporated milk in place of regular milk, etc. I do get a better texture in things like cream soups or ice cream with the higher fat alternatives, but in candy and baked goods I use whatever I have on hand. Things like Ann T's scones are better with cream, of course, but they are entirely acceptable with milk too. I think your cookies will be fine but I also don't think more butter is ever a bad thing. (grin)

Annie

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:47PM
shambo

Could you add some dry instant milk to regular milk? If you added enough, it might approximate the thicker texture of evaporated milk.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 12:20AM
grainlady_ks

This may be too late............

Evaporated milk substitutes:

-double-strength powdered milk (use twice as much milk powder) Example: for 1-cup of milk using Grandma's Country Cream Non-fat Milk, the recipe is 2 T. milk powder to 1 cup water. For double-strength use 4 T. milk powder to 1 cup water.

-half and half

I've included the link for Cook's Thesaurus where you can find food substitutes galore. A useful tool to check when you need a quick substitute idea.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cook's Thesaurus

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 4:58AM
jenn

Grainlady - not too late at all, thank you!

And thanks to all of you. I have a few options.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
roasted brussel sprouts with pancetta and onions
Son has requested this for Easter dinner. Would love...
glenda_al
So what is "a bunch"?
It drives me crazy when recipes call for a bunch of...
laceyvail
Help with baked eggs and a new oven
Hi - we recently got a new oven (Thermador) and my...
peggysugar
25th Birthday Review
Hi everyone, My 25th birthday was a very special one,...
moonwolf_gw
Weird "guy food" that's actually delicious?
You know what kind of food I mean? Not the kind of...
plllog
Sponsored Products
Traditional Zebra Rug 7'9" x 9'9" - BLACK
$899.00 | Horchow
Milk Old Town Cabinet Knob
Signature Hardware
Wyndham Collection Bathroom Amare 24 in. Vanity in Glossy White with Glass
Home Depot
Arabesque Silver Leaf Patina Two-Light Bath Light
$233.10 | Bellacor
Barnwood 8x10 Picture Frame
Overstock.com