Open floor plan - window treatments

amj0517January 23, 2014

Hi!

Our sliding glass door has been naked for 3 years because I just don't know what to do with it. We have an open floor plan. The back of our house has a window over the kitchen sink, then the sliding glass door in front of the kitchen table, then the living room windows, which are two stories on each side of the fireplace.

We have wood blinds over the sink window and drapes in the living room on a decorative traverse rod. We recently bought a drape for the sliding glass door that coordinates with the living room drapes (same colors, different pattern). If it matters, every other window in the house has the same wood blinds that are on the sink window.

I'm not sure if I should get a decorative traverse rod for this drape to tie the look into the living room. If so, should the finials be the same or can I go with something different? Or, Bali makes a 7" wood valance that would coordinate with the valance over the sink window (it is not the same shape or the exact color, but it is close enough).

What would you do? The drape is currently up on a standard white traverse rod.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Patricia43

The finials and everything should be the same. Make a mini header of the same drapery material that you use for the living room and (what you will use for) the sliding doors. It should all be uniform so that your house does not look disjointed.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 1:45PM
yayagal

Take a look at this bevy of vertical blinds. Perhaps you could find one that is similar to all the window treatments and have the living room drapes stand alone. The beauty of them is they also cut the glare and look very attractive.

Here is a link that might be useful: vertical blinds.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 2:37PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Take a look at the thread below for ideas...window treatments in the same room or space should go, but they need not match.

Here is a link that might be useful: Window treatment ideas

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
What is a McMansion? Tell Us In 25 Words or Less
Everybody seems to have his or her own definition of...
kswl2
Help coordinating an antique chandelier ?
\\Hello all! I'm working on lighting now...:) I have...
eesmerelda
Flower Wall Stickers
Have you been dreaming of decorative headboards, playful...
oopp
Advice on blue ceiling please
I'm planning to repaint our living room sometime soon,...
jlc712
Window treatments for short windows
My house is an 80s split foyer with short (36")...
cevamal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™