Which is the best washer for my needs? FL or TL?

jody7sharpNovember 21, 2012

Hi,

Like another poster that I read here, I am now totally confused about what kind of washer to get!!! We are going on Friday to chose the washer for our new build so are going to a vendor that has everything except Kenmore. I have always used an old fashioned TL with the agitator in the middle. I am NOT a laundry guru nor care to be.

Two adults, one child, cats that don't make too much mess. Biggest thing I wash now is king size duvet cover, which I wash with maybe a towel or two or couple pillow cases.

I want a no fuss washer! Do not care about space requirements; don't care about bending for FL or reaching inside for TL. Budget is around $1000 (less would be better!). I like to take my laundry basket to my washer, dump in whatever fits and wash it on cold. Comes out fine in my old cheapo washer. So, what would be best for me? HELP!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakvis

If your willing to change your washing habits go with the frontloader and you won't regret your choice.

If you are unwilling to learn new wash methods, buy a toploader and you won't regret your choice.

I've only owned frontloaders since the 1980s and they are in my opinion the only way to wash. They wash better and rinse better than a traditional toploader.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 1:08PM
mrb627

If your preference is to dump your laundry in and go washing only on cold I would recommend you stick with the top load washer.

MRBM

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 9:22PM
taoseeker

Not all FL are the same, but most of them allow for a cold wash with high water level and it should do much the same job as a TL. The advantage with a FL is they take in cold water and heat it gradually as the wash proceeds. This makes pretreament of stains usally not necessary. Bedlinen and towels need a good 200F wash now and then to stay fresh. Top loaders can be good but hardly any of the models heat water, so only get as hot as your tap can provide. Either way, with a few tricks we get our clothes clean whatever we choose.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 3:04PM
jody7sharp

It seems you are recommending a TL for me.
I have read a few places on line that you have to carefully place your items in the machine with a top loader so that it is correctly balanced. Is that true for "regular" laundry (clothes)? Or is it just for a big item like a comforter? What about towels (about 6 big ones at a time)?

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
which compact washer/dryer?
I really wanted the Miele touchtronic washer/dryer...
achase1961
Persil DuoCaps Made in Germany
So after my less than great results with the new "WalMart...
larsi_gw
Speed Queen washer
When you all are discussing your Speed Queen, did you...
maylingsmom
How to access Program Mode in Miele W3038
After almost four years without a washer yesterday...
recordaras
Affresh vs. Washer Magic
We've had our Duet for about two months, and so far/so...
chipshot
Sponsored Products
Folding Breakfast Table in Green
$269.99 | Dot & Bo
Black Tie Six-Light Chandelier
$1,575.00 | Horchow
Floral Medallion Denim Wallpaper R1903, sample
Walls Republic
Recycled Plastic Adirondack Tete-a-Tete - C426BLK
Hayneedle
Vac-Snap Bags - Quart
$11.95 | FRONTGATE
Conair 15pc Stainless Steel Hollow Handle Block Set
Overstock.com
Atlanta Braves Oniva Reclining Portable Seat
$42.99 | zulily
CAL Lighting Lamps 62 in. Rust Metal Adjustable Pharmacy Floor Lamp BO-2032FL-RU
$95.42 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™