Startup delay on new T8 fixture

yam2006August 6, 2009

I replaced four four-lamp fixtures (ie sixteen tubes total) from old worn-out T12 to new T8 fixtures. They are all controlled by the same switch.

Two of the new T8 four-lamp fixtures come on immediately, a third one comes on with a slight delay, and the fourth one comes on with an even longer delay, perhaps 0.5 to 1.0 seconds. I'm surprised and disappointed since I thought I wouldn't have to worry about these issues after upgrading to T8 and electronic ballast.

Do these two slow fixtures have a defective ballast? Are they going to get worse in cold weather, or after a few years of use? Is there any effect on their reliability or power consumption? Or is this all within the normal range, and I'm just noticing the difference because I have four identical fixtures right next to each other?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azlighting

Initial thought is the ballast may be defective on said fixtures. Another option is the wiring, did you have them wired per the manufacturer's recommendations.
Last option would be to see if you have either a rapid start or instant start ballast.

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 1:20PM
yam2006

I think they are wired correctly. I re-used the existing wiring from each of the old fixtures. They are all in series with one another. The four new fixtures are identical.

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 2:24PM
yam2006

Well I replaced one of the ballasts this weekend. The behavior is still exactly the same. I also swapped the tubes from one fixture to another but still couldn't get the behavior to change. I'm a bit puzzled.

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 11:34AM
azlighting

Double check the wiring looking for cracks, creases etc. You mentioned you used the same wiring from the previous T12 for the new T8. Try new wiring to see if that makes a difference.

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Anyone using regular white bulbs in a clear glass fixture?
The light fixture my mom and I like best so far for...
Robyn Hoke
Disappointed with my LED recessed lights ... what now?
My LED recessed lights (Cree 6'' 2700K) were installed...
aussies
how many lamps in a bathroom heat lamp?
Bathroom is about 140sq5 ft. What do you'll think?...
growingadvice
Transitional design lighting
Should light fixtures "match" in transitional...
sheepco4
Need help identifying chandelier
Hello, I recently saw a chandelier that I really liked,...
Sgreen
Sponsored Products
Uttermost Vitya Glass Coffee Table - 24338
$591.80 | Hayneedle
Lloyds Single Bathroom Vanity - W5297-11
Hayneedle
Pillow Top Porcelain Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Holman Brushed Nickel Two-Light Wall Bath Vanity with Satin Etched Glass
$42.60 | Bellacor
Meditub 30x60 Left Drain Biscuit Soaking Walk-In Bathtub
Beyond Stores
Camino Ruby Matte Bronze Mini Pendant
$148.50 | Bellacor
Justice Design Group CLD-8534 - Deco 4 Light Bath Bar - Cylinder with Flat Rim S
$398.00 | Hayneedle
Studio Polished Nickel One-Light Mini Pendant with White Shade
$113.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™