Putting CR6's in LR6 housings? (Dimming Concerns)

oldbat2beAugust 14, 2011

(Originally posted in Electrical Wiring forum; moved here).

We have put up 21 Cooper Halo H71CT recessed new construction housings; original plan was for Cree LR6's. Electrical wiring is in place.

My question is: can I instead put CR6's in the same housings? The requirements for the CR6 is: 'Standard 6" downlight housing'.

The reason for the change is that I have 4 zones with only 2 or 3 CR6's (in each zone), 1 zone with a single CR6, and I am concerned about dimmability, in these zones. (I like dimmers everywhere).

Cree lists the Lutron Skylark SF-10P/SF-103P as a recommended dimmer for the LR6, and specifies (min) 1, max(12) fixtures per dimmer.

If these dimmers actually work, then I will stick with the LR6's... otherwise, I'm leaning towards cancelling my LR6 order and going with CR6's.

I found a reference to the LR6's being phased out -- I assume due to higher cost? -- this concerned me a little, too.

If it's too late to cancel the order, well I guess we'll be installing a couple of LR6's and should be able to answer the question in a couple of weeks ourselves :)

As always, thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

The cr6 fits in the same housing as the lr6.

The cr6 is less efficient than the lr6 but has a greater dimming capability.

The lr6 has greater light spillage since the recess is shallower. Hope that helps.

I'll reply to your other question later

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 2:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldbat2be

Good to know, thanks. I did reach out to CREE as well, who says that the recommended dimmer should work, even with a load as small as 1 LR6. I'll post results once lights are in. (I'm sticking with the LR6's).

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™