Warm white light for undercabinet

kaylAugust 23, 2010

I am remodeling and will be replacing the old fluorescent under cabinet lights. I need good task lighting; but the old fluorescents give me a migraine. I read that you can get warm white fluorescents. Will these look a bit more like incandescent? Any pictures? Good sources to recommend? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

Newer fluorescents are far superior to older ones. Look for a lamp with a color temperature of 2700K to 3000K for a nice blend with incandescents. The CRI (color rendering index) should be at least 80. A CRI of 82 is good, 86 is better, and at 90 or 92 you'll see a huge improvement.

The old cool white fluorescents were 4100K and usually between 50 and 70 CRI. The low CRI is the main reason for the ghastly quality of light they produced, but the bluish cast of the 4100K CT didn't help.

Don't go to a big box store. A good lighting store or large electrical jobber will have a much better selection and (at least in my town) the prices aren't drastically higher. You should expect to pay more than the generic cool white price, however. :)

If the fixtures are old, also consider either replacing them or upgrading the ballasts to new electronic ballasts. These completely eliminate the flicker associated with old fluorescents. It's a fairly easy DIY job to change them; just follow the wiring diagram on the new ballast.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 3:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcydc

I just got my new LED under cab from Environmental Lighting powered up today. Warm color. Gorgeous! and just the "non-flourescent" look I was looking for (and it had to be low efficacy here in CA). They look exactly like incandescent in my opinion.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 1:29AM
More Discussions
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
texasgal47
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
If we need to do smaller 3 inch recessed lights in a shower ....
Hi everyone, We are trying to work out if we can put...
ontariomom
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™