Is it possible?

misha16August 7, 2012

Thank you every one who is been helpfull on this forum with advices.I'm looking for another one.I'm doing kitchen redo,2 of my 39" tall cabinets should have lights in them but electrician refuses to install them becuse he says I have to have access.Is it possible to have lights inside cabinets with molding?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

If you are using low voltage lighting, you need to have access to the "transformer" or power supply.

Take a look at http://www.phantom lighting.com for ideas.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 10:37AM
luminousnw

Check out LED tape lighting. SolidApollo even has tape lighting that doesn't require a transformer.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 7:16PM
brickeyee

Thew NEC issue is that concealed wiring (inside walls typically) must be an 'approved method' and the 'methods' concentrate on 120 V, 15 A circuits as about the lowest used regularly.
There are a few other 'classes' like power limited control circuits (thermostats fall into part of this group) but they are very power limited.
They might be able to handle an LED strip, but not much else.

120 V wiring has strict rules and every splice must be in a junction box, and accessible (no damage to the finished surface) after installation.
Accessible does not have to be convenient.

The junction box behind a stove is accessible by moving the stove, a panel fastened in pace with screws is accessible, a nailed in place panel is not.

The transformer connections need to be accessible, as well as the transformer itself.

If the wiring is exposed (like on the bottom of a cabinet) and also low voltage you get a lot of relief in wiring methods.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Rosette on slanted dining room ceiling?
Moved into a resale which has a dining room fixture...
Barb P
Is it ok to install ceiling lights in the slab itself?
I'm getting a new house built and trying to figure...
pursuitofhome
Recessed Lighting Layout for Kitchen
Hi, everyone. I know this is asked all the time, but...
firefox15
Need help identifying chandelier
Hello, I recently saw a chandelier that I really liked,...
Sgreen
Quality of LED fixtures from different manufacturers
Hello! Does anyone know how LED light fixtures from...
linae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™