Bakers: trying to achieve rough cake texture

arlinekJuly 8, 2012

I've been working on and off trying to achieve the taste and texture of "tea cakes" - cupcake-type, not the cookies. They used to be made by several bakeries in L.A, Ca. and made with buttermilk & other ingredients. I have finally found a very close recipe that is almost the exact taste. However, the texture was very soft, had small holes and didn't attain that rough texture I'm trying to emulate. It consists of cake flour, eggs, buttermilk, brown & white sugars and a wee bit more. It first called for beating the eggs, sugars, vegetable oil & & vanilla for 6 minutes, then adding the flour, buttermilk & baking soda for an add'l min. or so, just till mixed. I definitely want a rougher, larger-wholed texture ... more like carrot cake, perhaps. If I use all purpose flour instead of sifted cake flour and/or beat the mixture for far less than the 6 min. called for, might I get what I'm looking for? If not, any suggestions?? Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

It sounds like you are trying to make a Crumb Cake to me, which would have a more coarse texture and more open crumb. You might want to explore that avenue. Crumb Cake was the first cake I learned how to make as a child. -Grainlady

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 7:00PM
lindac

Try using AP flour and not mixing so long...just stir together the sugar and oil, add the eggs.
Mix the baking soda with the flour....AND I would add some baking powder......don't know how big your recipe is....but start with 1/2 teaspoon.
Then add the buttermilk to the oil, sugar egg mix....beat.....then with a spoon stir in the flour....no beating just stir until mixed.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 7:27PM
lpinkmountain

I make a good rough cake with oatmeal. It's called "oatmeal yogurt cake" and is homey and moist, with a cinnamon crumb topping. I could post if you like. It sounds similar to what you describe, you could easily sub buttermilk for the yogurt.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 8:05PM
arlinek

Thank you all. You have confirmed my suspicions that perhaps all purpose flour may do the trick, in addition to hand-mixing. Lpink: I'm trying for a SPECIFIC TASTE replication of a "cup cake" made in the 60s and yon and know it didn't have oatmeal, but thank you for the offer!!!

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 7:21PM
cloud_swift

I've made bread with oatmeal and in the final product I can't tell that there are oats in it.

lpink, I'd like the oatmeal yogurt cake recipe if you would type it in.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Matzo Stuffing
I've probably made matzo stuffing 3 or 4 times before,...
fawnridge
Feta, please explain
Last week, DH and I were in New Orleans. We ate at...
bbstx
Food for sore mouths..
I just had a tooth extracted - and I have a very sore...
agmss15
Need side dish idea and thoughts on dessert
I have been asked to bring a side dish for Easter -...
susan_in_nc
roasted brussel sprouts with pancetta and onions
Son has requested this for Easter dinner. Would love...
glenda_al
Sponsored Products
Turner Metal and Wood Bakers Rack - PSM225
$699.99 | Hayneedle
Solid Copper 3-piece Beating Bowl Set
Overstock.com
Italian Bread Pan
$6.49 | zulily
Chalkboard Place Cards - Set of 4
$15.99 | Dot & Bo
Silicone Square Cake Pan
$14.99 | zulily