Widest wall-washing recessed light

studog1234August 10, 2009

We are planning to install recessed lighting in our home. We want a recessed light that provides the widest spread of light onto a wall. As I am no expert in this area, I am looking for recommendations on type, size, wattage, and brand of light as well as on the distance from the wall the can should be placed. (Assume for the moment for my inquiry that I'm talking general lighting in say a family or living room and not art lighting.) Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
normclc

The best wall washer for your use would be one that uses a regular light bulb(100A19) or an equivalent CFL .
The rule of thumb for attaining uniform light levels using wall washing is the distance between the fixtures should be the same as the distance off the wall.
Higher light levels on the vertical surface are attained by moving the fixtures closer to the wall, hence using more fixtures.
Most companies, like Juno, Halo, or Lightolier, have the data for mounting info on their websites.
Make sure that you use relatively light finishes on the highlighted for better refllectance.

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 11:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_light

Lightolier makes the best wall wash fixture with a 150A lamp. This is for non IC applications. 1135 Trim and 1102P1 Housing It can use a 100 or 150 A or 90 BR. This is a wall waher that really works.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Recessed lighting - Remodel (yes/no) LED Can and Trim/Engine (model)
Hi, I want to install recessed lighting in my house...
firsthome_sfh
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
Which would you pick for an LED step light / night light
We are in the rough-in stage of our new build, and...
Sun43
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™