Too many lights?

rmiriamJuly 3, 2013

I'm the first to admit that I don't know anything about lighting. After browsing this forum, I came up with the attached lighting plan for my open kitchen/dining room/living room. In addition to the ceiling lights, I will have undercounter lighting in the kitchen. I had a contractor out yesterday, and he said the can lights I have planned are overkill if we use 6" cans. What do you think? Can I get away with less?

Thanks for any input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

I don't think it's too many in the kitchen area but personally, I'd eliminate the others except for the entry. Install an electrical box for a light over the DR table, and also one over the kitchen sink for some type of additional lighting for your prep area.

For the sofa area add table lamps or sconces. If you want to be able to turn on the table lamps from one switch, have the electrician wire either the top or lower socket of each wall outlet (where lamps are plugged in) to a switch.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 2:16PM
rmiriam

OK, thanks. I like the idea of sconces in the sofa area! I thought the cans might tie everything together if used outside of the kitchen, but on second thought, I'm not even sure I want everything tied together quite that much. I will take them out of the non-kitchen areas and just stick with a chandelier over the DR table (already there) and probably a ceiling fan in the sofa area, because I'm in Texas, and it gets hot here!

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 9:29AM
worthy

I presume there is provision for under-cabinet lighting, whether halogen or fluorescent.

Top of cabinet fixture and cove lighting can be used to create soft ambient illumination, something I have never found pot fixtures creating.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 3:13PM
cheryleb

I have an open concept area. The kitchen/eating area is about 30' x 10' open to the Great Room which is 14' x 18'. Including the open stairway, the space is about 30' x 24'.

I have 4 6" pots in the GR and 5 in the kitchen with two pendants over the BB between the kitchen and eating area and a hanging fixture over the table. I put a dimmer on the BB lights and plan to add one to the GR and dinette because it is often too bright. The 6" pots take 100 watt bulbs so that is a lot of light.

Just provided for reference. Your space is about 24' x 20'. I do have west exposure and two large windows and a garden door on this side as well as some light coming through from the front.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 8:42AM
jennymathew

The kitchen area is good and need good light but I think you should decrease the number in sitting area and install them on your porch or drive way. In this way your home will look more nice and attractive.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Looking for vendors of outdoor lighting
I am looking for quality outdoor wall lighting . I...
fiftyfab
how many lamps in a bathroom heat lamp?
Bathroom is about 140sq5 ft. What do you'll think?...
growingadvice
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
judydenver
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Sponsored Products
Orleans Oil Rubbed Bronze Two-Light Bath Fixture
$53.00 | Bellacor
Stonegate Designs | Poppies 20 Inch Pendant Light
YLighting
Durie 2-light Flush Mount Bronze Ceiling Light
Overstock.com
ELK Lighting 69052-1 Schoolhouse Pendant - 8W in. Bronze - 69052-1
$146.00 | Hayneedle
Hartford Oil Rubbed Six Light Chandelier
$230.00 | Bellacor