need help asap housefire.

beaglencNovember 28, 2013

My daughter's house sustained extensive smoke and water damage from neighbors house fire. How is the best way launder her and her husbands clothes to get the odor out? So blessed that they are okay.
Did searches on this forum as well as the cleaning forum but found nothing. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whirlpool_trainee

I'm glad everyone is alright.

I did a quick search on "how to remove fire smoke odor from clothes" and found this link to be rather comprehensive although it seems to involve a lot of profesional help (e.g. treat textile with ozone to remove smell). Otherwise, the usual suspects seem to be vinegar and/or baking soda to remove the smell. I'd wash them before to get the oily soot off.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: After the Fire is Out: Cleaning Household Textiles and Clothing

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 9:34AM
beaglenc

Alex, can not thank you enough for the link, it's a God send. was too tired to even think straight this am.

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 5:10PM
rococogurl

Wishing you and your family luck beagle.

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 7:39PM
itguy08

This may be a little late but when we had a fish tank catch fire while on vacation and filled the house with smoke (when the tank busted it put itself out), the insurance company hired a restoration company to take care of it. One of the things they did was send all our textiles (curtains, clothes, shoes, etc) out to a company who restored the stuff and got all the odors out.

You might want to check with the insurance company, possibly the neighbors or hers. It should be covered.

Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Stack Washer & Dryer to make room for Utility Tub?
Hi All! I have a very small main floor laundry "closet"...
Catie R
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
nicoletouk
Goodbye Kenmore HE2T/Whirlpool Sport, I hate you!
Im so done with this piece of junk washing machine....
Mark
New Electrolux washing machine
Hi, I just got a new 70 series front load washer. When...
hollowayl
Dark color spots on clothes after washing/drying
I have been having having this issue for months now...
tylerr27
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™