chandelier: small room but big table?

kitchennovice44July 14, 2011

When your dining room (actually dining space/open layout) is small (8' x 11') and already fairly busy with art, mirror, windows, but your dining table is fairly big (42" x 72"), are you better off going a bit smaller in chandy size to complement room size or going a bit bigger to play to table proportion?

I've read all the "rules of thumb" about choosing a chandy fixture that say go 12" smaller than table width (that would be 30") or add room proportions together, (that would be 19") Totally different specs! I love a chandy that's 20" diameter, but PB designer tells me that's too small for table. Just curious if anyone faced this dilemma themselves or have opinions one way or the other...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roadbike

I've got a 24" 5 arm crystal chandelier that is 28" high and it looks just fine over a 42" x70" wide table. With 2 extensions in we sometimes use candlesticks to supplement. In my opinion a 30" diameter light fixture would overwhelm a 42" table. I've seen a few dining rooms where the owners got carried away looking only at internet pictures and the result is absurd. I would say 20" to 24" would work just fine, but remember the fixture has to provide light. Would a 20" have a sufficient number of bulbs for effective not over bright lighting?

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 2:32PM
kitchennovice44

Thanks Roadbike: one I'm considering takes 5 60w bulbs (candle-style,) so hopefully bright enough. I think 22-24" size would be great, but I really like this 20" fixture: so may gamble on it. (Funny...some designers say it's always better to go too big than too small when in doubt re: chandelier size...while others say just the opposite. Guess it's all personal preference.)

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 7:19PM
roadbike

Go for it and enjoy!!!

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 10:05PM
More Discussions
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™