Bread Baking - Using the Ken Forkish Method

ann_tJuly 31, 2014

I've been making all my bread recently by hand, using the Forkish method of pinch and fold. Both regular and sourdough breads.

This method also uses the autolyse technique, which isn't new to me. I've been using it for years. .

For the time being, I have retired my Magic Mill.

Eight small baguettes baked yesterday from same-day dough.
900 g of white flour, 100 g of Organic Red Fife flour, locally milled, 780g water, 5 g of yeast and 26 g salt.

Crumb Shot.

I made a second batch of dough last night, this time using 100 g of locally milled organic stone ground Spelt in place of the Red Fife. And this batch went into the fridge for an overnight fermentation.

Taken out of the fridge this morning at 5:00 AM and left on the counter to warm up.

Loaves were out of the oven by 10:30 AM. Four larger baguettes.

Canadian flours are considered some of the best in the world. So I have been experimenting with some .

True Grain is also where I get my organic rye for feeding my sourdough starter. I plan to try more of their flours.

If you are interested in the Ken Forkish method, he has a number of videos on his site. See Link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ken Forkish - Videos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shirl36

I never miss reading a bread post especially when pictures are posted also. I love bread and I love bread making. Just today I made a loaf of rye bread and fed my sourdough starter for a loaf of sourdough tomorrow.

I hope to get my loaves not so dense but with more big holes. After a followup post from you Ann T and others last week I have Ken Forkish's book Water Flour Salt on the way.

My breads are always moist and tastes good, I am looking for another crumb than I have been having. I maybe disappointed and be more satisfied with my current results but I need to try.

So much good advice from all CF.
Going back to the drawing board.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 9:17PM
annie1992

Ann T, as always, that looks delicious.

I love the difference in the bread with the locally milled flour or corn instead of the commercially available flours. There are few choices here, so I've even resorted to grinding wheat berries with the coffee grinder occasionally.

Some time or another I'll buy a mill and grow my own corn, at least, maybe other grains, but until now I just continue to seek out the options available here. And, of course, the internet has made this a whole new world full of choices.

Retired the Magic Mill, though? Now that's drastic!

Annie

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 10:22PM
kitchendetective

I suspect that I overused the Magic Mill. After reading Forkish, who emphasizes learning the feel of the dough, I stopped using the Magic Mill for bread. I may return to it, but I wanted to feel that I had perfected "hole-i-ness" before relying on it again.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 11:20PM
sleevendog

We added the Forkish pinch last year thanks to one of your bread
Posts. Now have four favorite bread methods depending on what
We want...forkish can become so many things.
(5 if you count the english muffins)

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 9:46PM
Islay_Corbel

Looks gorgeous!

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 2:57AM
lpinkmountain

Besides the bread technique, I am lovin' that this guy's last name is Forkish! :)

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 11:37AM
ann_t

Lpink, I know. Great name isn't it?

~Ann

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 10:44PM
shirl36

Whooooo Rahhhhh....I almost did it.

Received Flour Water Salt Yeast book in the mail last Tuesday. Boy was that a read!!! Read and read, located all my supplies which I had most of except for a big bread tub. Didn't have time to order one, I wanted to make bread now. Stopped at hardware store on Friday, bought a white 2 1/2 gal paint bucket...it worked well.

So this morning was to be bread making "Saturday White Bread" by Ken Forkish rules. I am pleased with results for the first time. I am the poster who wanted big holes in my bread.

I got one large loaf with a couple smaller baguette style.
I butter and then toasted slices for suppper. So good.
I made notes and next time I will come closer but my first results I can live with. I know one thing I do not like Mr Forkish's dark dark crust.....I am more fond of lighter golden color....will make that adjustment later on..... shirl

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 8:39PM
ann_t

Shirl, that was your first time? I'd say that you did great.

A dark, dark crust is more the European way. It depends on what I want the bread for. I'll bake to a dark brown if the bread is just going to be eaten. But since most of our bread ends up being toasted, and I like my toast, well toasted, I don't bake my crusts to a really dark stage, because then the toast crust gets burnt.

~Ann

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 9:40PM
kitchendetective

Oh, my, you did GREAT!

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
Half Ham (bone-in)
Which is best, shank or butt. If the package doesn't...
ryseryse_2004
Need help making changes in this recipe
I've been a long time lurker, posted few times, and...
littleonefb
Tried And True "Edible" Brownie Recipe? (Where Legal)
Here is a cooking question, more specifically a baking...
johnliu_gw
Biscuit Experts
Can I substitute greek yogurt for buttermilk in a biscuit...
cactuscatie1
What's For Dinner #338
#337 has reached over 100 posts. Jasdip, I love fried...
ann_t
Sponsored Products
T-Fal Black 4-slice Toaster
Overstock.com
Black & Decker TRO480BS Toast-R-Oven 4-slice Toaster Oven (Refurbished)
Overstock.com
Two-Tone Teak Spreaders - Set of 4
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Rosewood Nesting Bowls - Set of 4
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Zojirushi Home Bakery Mini Breadmaker
$200.00 | FRONTGATE
Wusthof Gourmet Serrated Utility Knife
$29.95 | FRONTGATE
Terra-Cotta Bread Warmer - Set of Two
$5.99 | zulily
Stainless Steel Bread Box