Can Lights in Vaulted Ceiling - Cree?

puppymomflJuly 17, 2011

I'm late in the game on my new construction and have been trying to absorb all the info in this forum, but I want to be sure I'm not making an irrevocable error.

My kitchen and great room have vaulted ceilings. I want to use can lights for general lighting in both areas. The ceiling height where the cans will go will be between 13' - 15'. Will the LR6/CR6 Cree fixtures spaced 6'-7' apart provide enough light?

I have to give the builder my decision by Wednesday, so any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nolerad

You might want to consider the Cree LR6-DR1000. These have greater brightness than the standard LR6 and are useful with high ceilings like yours. Quite costly, however.

I would call Cree and ask their suggestions. I did for my own kitchen project and received a lot of useful advice, including not only the specific fixture but also the best dimmer, etc. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 10:07PM
David

The lr6 should work fine. Lutron has a more comprehensive list of dimmers known to work with the Cree lights.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 5:30PM
triphase

The LR-6 is a pretty good light soon to be replaced by Cree (shhush) It only dimms down to 25 percent. It is a good light though.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 9:31PM
puppymomfl

Thanks so much. I am reassured that I'm on the right track and I'll call call Cree today.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 12:12PM
triphase

Also, you may have to play with dimmers with the LR Cree lights. Very finicky. You may get some blinking and or humming.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 7:03PM
nolerad

Cree's recommendation to me for dimmers with the 10 LR6's I will have on one switch (and the 3 on a 2nd switch and 2 on a 3rd switch) are the Lutron Skylark SF-10P (single pole) and Lutron Skylark SF-103P (3-way). Not as cosmetically sleek as some of Lutron's other dimmers, but I just want 'em to work w/o issues.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 9:06PM
triphase

Those should work fine

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 11:59PM
David

The list of lutron dimmers and modules that are compatible with LR6 & CR6 can be viewed at:
http://www.lutron.com/ResourceLibrary/LEDReportCard/LED_LR6%20Report%20Card.pdf
http://www.lutron.com/ResourceLibrary/LEDReportCard/CR6%20Report%20Card_RevB.pdf

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 12:17AM
triphase

We have had some issues with RA maestros with LR-6's as well as Radio RA. They work better with the CR-6. In fact all dimmers work better with the CR-6 other than the electronic ones.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 1:09AM
puppymomfl

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate the help!

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 8:05PM
irishchain

It was recommended to me that I use 'Nora Lighting' for our vaulted ceilings (about 15-18 ft) instead of Cree. They are 4" cans and guaranteed to last 7 years. I absolutely REFUSE to use 6" cans! I haven't checked the cost as compared to Cree. Hopefully they will be competitively priced.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
Alternative to pot/can lights
Spoke to my GC yesterday and he suggested that I use...
abbabug
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Sylvania vs. EcoSmart retrofit
I have seen these two brands compared many times with...
linae
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™