Undercabinet LED - recessed cabinet bottoms

numbersjunkieJuly 30, 2010

I was planning to have my cabinet bottoms recessed to avoid the need for a trim bar. Now I am trying to figure out what sizes of the LED light bars I need and it seems like I will have some fairly wide gaps between light bars in order to have them fit between the edges of each cabinet.

Will that look bad, with noticeable gaps in the lighting? Should I forget the recessed bottoms and just go with a trim piece? Would there still be gaps between the light bars?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gingerr

Why would you have gaps? With LED bar lights, you will wan to fill in as closely as possible. Most of them can be coupled together and then linked to each other to get too the next space if your caninets have stiles under them, they can be notched. Many of the new ultra slim LED strips can even be fitted in the notched stiles. I would put the trim on the bottom of the cabinet unless you have sleek ultra modern cabinets. Then use the recessed bottom. Remember to put your light stips at the front of the cabinet and not the back. Just space them as evenly as possible all the way around filling in as much space as possible.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 7:29PM
David

It will be bad. You could explore led panels.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 8:48PM
numbersjunkie

gingerr- my cabinets are frameless, full overlay, shaker style and I think the light rail will spoil the look.

davidtay - I was afraid you would say that!
I guess I should ask my contractor about notching the frames. Panels sound REALLY expensive, but I will look into that as well.

My cabinet widths (after subtracting the 3/4" side panels) are 31.5, 28.5, 25.5, 19.5, 16.5, 13.5, 11.5. Even connecting multiple sizes doesn't seem to fill the area very well for some of these areas.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 9:58PM
David

An alternative would be to put small light strips on the stiles to minimize the shadow zones.

There should be a bottom rail anyway. Depending on the height above your countertops, it still may be possible to replace the bottom rail with a slightly wider rail and hang led strips across the bottom as though it were totally flat.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
recessed lighting suggestions
I'm having recessed lights installed in two rooms this...
evanderleeuw
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
Alternative to pot/can lights
Spoke to my GC yesterday and he suggested that I use...
abbabug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™