Kitchen overhead lighting question

FoglandiaJuly 14, 2013

Hi All,

Just finished a kitchen remodel and looking for some help with the kitchen lighting. The kitchen is 11' 10" x 14' - 8" and the ceilings are 8' 5" high. Overhead light is currently recessed CFL's there are 8 lights in total. and I have a table light, with 3 40 halogens.

My problem is I hate the CFL's. We've used as soft white a bulb as possible, and still the room is not that well lit, and is very cold and sterile. The kitchen is very modern and mostly white which doesn't help. There is only one window in the room so artificial light is important, even during the day.

The under cabinet task lights are tube fluorescents which work well.

What I would like to do is add a standard overhead light, halogen or traditional incandescent, that fully lights the room but in a warm, less sterile way. I'm leaning toward a semi flush style fixture, but have no idea how many lumens/watts I'll need to really light up the room or what style of overhead light makes the most sense.

Any guidance appreciated.

Debbie Lefkowitz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SparklingWater

Deb, you have a very nice kitchen! The glass cabs and the lovely backsplash really fit well together.

With an 8'6" ceiling and a modern look, it's certainly feasible to add a central ceiling fixture but many feel it might make the room appear smaller and force one's eyes down rather than up. I went through the ying and yang of keeping our central light in our 8'6" remodel, and in the end did not.

Could you change out your CFL recessed to Cooper's Halo LED lights? The glow bright but not blue, and are dimmable. They don't cost a lot (it's a kit) other than the change out.

You might also wish to consider changing from under cabinet florescent to LED bars or tape. You have what appears to be a 1" light rail which gives you nice price options. DIrect wire Utilitech at Lowes just came out with dimming option. Really good price point.

Changing the lights from florescent to incandescent or LED may do the trick for your great space. GL.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
thoughts on WAC Lighting LEDme Pro Light Bars
title says it all - any feedback on this brand and...
lmgch
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
judydenver
Anyone using regular white bulbs in a clear glass fixture?
The light fixture my mom and I like best so far for...
Robyn Hoke
Sponsored Products
Modern Fan Company | Pharos Ceiling Fan
$436.00 | YLighting
Spring Air Back Supporter Firm Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolor - AL
$564.99 | Hayneedle
Lily Opal Fusion Jack Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$215.28 | Bellacor
Illume Lighting Under Cabinet Lighting 12 in. LED Enviro Ultra Slim Strip Light
$24.99 | Home Depot
AICO Furniture - Lavelle Melange Wood Trim Settee - 54864-SPRNG-34
Great Furniture Deal
Cypree Frost 27-Inch Fusion Jack Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$252.72 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™