Lighting for U-shaped Kitchen

colorfastJuly 20, 2011

Hi, I'm shopping for lighting for our kitchen remodel and realizing I'm over my head.

Kitchen will keep basic shape as current, but across from the U, the cabinets on the far wall will be deeper, 18 inches. Will also have undercab lights for portion that has countertop.

Already planning on:

1. LED under-cab lights. Cabinet maker will put a trim to lower the notice of units. DH selected a set that I will try to post the details of later when he's available.

2. Currently have a 70s dining room chandelier over the table that we will replace with something updated. we may actually do this piece later.

3. Island hood (ordered) will have lights in it for stove, halogen I believe.


Over sink, there is not lots of space there for a recessed light without the soffit. (Eaves at edge of house see pix). Are there shorter ones? Do a pendant light? Our ceilings are only 92 inches. The pendants I saw had way too long of a steel bar around the cord.

2. Lighting in U-shape area. Currently have a single large fixture (we replaced about 5 years ago).

Do we add recessed lights to that? My husband isn't totally excited about removing it and resheetrocking the ceiling so I need to know if that is happening or not.

We would be interested in an LED recessed or other green-friendly product, but we don't have weeks to wait for them to come if they need ordered. Have all the box stores, IKEA and some specialty lighting stores in town. Noticed you all talk about the CR or Cree LED lights. I can try to look for these when I shop.

3. We are doing wood shelves in the glass cabinets because we will be putting dayware in them and using them regularly (with kids). They have glass doors on either side--trying to lighten up the space since I can't afford to get rid of these cabinets entirely. My husband thought he would just put the same under cab lights under each level unless you have another idea?

I know I should have worked this piece out sooner. Thanks so much for your understanding and help.

Sink is under window in photo:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The CR6 lights can be purchased at HomeDepot and the RT6 at Lowes.

As for lighting the glass cabinet, you can use LED UCL lighting or the phantom lighting system.

Take some time to consider the lighting needs and desires since a typical remodeling project will take a considerable amount of time and resources and the end results should work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: phantom lighting

    Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 12:39PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Looking for vendors of outdoor lighting
I am looking for quality outdoor wall lighting . I...
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
Legacy Debut Kitchen Cabinet -designer construction
Hi, Does anyone have any feedback on this cabinet...
Lisa Smith
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
Sponsored Products
Cone Pendant by Tech Lighting
$196.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™