kitchen light box

chardonnaykjJuly 22, 2009

I need help with my kitchen light box. It is huge 8'x5' wooden with crown molding and is directly over my cooktop island. It is the first step in my kitchen remodel. My plan is to take out the box and replace it with a island pendant and place about 8 recessed can around the perimeter for general lighting. My DH feels this is not cost effective and wants to leave the box intact and avoid the cost of a celing redo and additional amps. We thought about sheetrocking the entire bottom and hang the pendant from the box. He says we can add cans in the corners of the box to provide general lighting. We have undercabinet lighting, a can over sink, and light over kitchen dining table. I am concerned about the looks of spot lights shooting down/out from the corners. I am open to any ideas someone might have. I tried to post pics but not having luck with my usual cut and paste method :( Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dim4fun

Ditch the box and tell hubby he is next...

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 9:36PM
marie123

I think your intuition is correct that spot lights from the corners would not look great.

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 1:58PM
chardonnaykj

yeah, box is gone! Found a oil rubbed track light set I love and will place two along with an island pendant tomorrow...getting excited

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
Accent Eyeball lighting for Artwork
Any recommendations for size and type of eyeball light?...
lake72
Please help us get rid of buzz from dimming LED can lights
I cross posted this in Kitchens, but am hopeful someone...
laughablemoments
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™