Replacement Lighting for Galley Kitchen

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8aJuly 16, 2012

This is a crosspost on the recommendation of folks in the kitchem forum.

My kitchen is a small, narrow galley and has an old fluorescent ceiling fixture that I would like to replace. Having never replaced such a fixture, I am having a hard time at what kind of replacement to look. The fixture must be ceiling hugging; ceiling is too low for chandelier type (even though that is what I would love to have).

Your help in pointing me in the right direction will be very much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The first step is to figure out how much lighting is needed.
Assuming ~ 35 lumens per sq ft, a space that is 8' x 12' would require 35 * 8 * 12 = 3360 lumens.

If it is a rectangular shaped box using old T12 tubes, you could either upgrade the existing fixture to use T8 tubes with electronic ballasts.

If you have a circular shaped fixture that you intend to replace, T8 fluorescents are the cheapest option.

Or you could spring for a Cree CR series troffer which is dimmable but comes with a significantly higher upfront cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cree troffer

    Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 2:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Thanks, davidtay. See kitchen, cabinets and lighting measurements below. Also, I didn't mention that the upper cabinets go all the way to the ceiling. No window; however, a doorway at each end of the galley. The current lighting fixturen is 48" long with 4 tubes.

Kitchen Measurements
14� 9" long
10� 1" wide
36" deep lower cabinets/counters on each wall
13" deep upper cabinets
40" walkway opening on one end
32" doorway on other end

So that evidently means I need 5250 lumens. Is that correct?

I did find a place fairly near me that sells the Cree line. Will check regarding cost.

I looked at the Home Depot and Lowes websites and the T8 tubes appear to be very expensive, as well as the electronic ballasts, but I may be looking at them incorrectly. This is all new to me.

    Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 4:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

About right.

The total amount can be divided up between under cabinet and the main fixture if you want.

T8 fluorescent lighting is pretty inexpensive especially when you get 2 - 4 tube fixtures.

Is dimming important? If so, dimmable electronic ballasts are relatively rare (i.e. - not available in either HD or Lowes) and expensive. In which case, the CR24 becomes competitive.

    Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 5:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


What are all of your reasons for replacing the existing fixture? Would a more attractive, instant-on no-hum fluorescent fixture do, or are you trying to improve the light distribution, or just get away from fluorescent?

    Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 1:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

My initial thought was to get rid of the fluourescent.

    Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 12:46PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Make an impact with some LED!
I thought I would share this with everyone. We have...
Matthew Siegler
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
Recessed Surface lights vs. Cans
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between...
Lighting for small walk in closet
Hello, We are about ready to build our master closet....
looking for some direction choosing leds for family room
I want to add some recessed led lights to the family...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™