Ceiling fan light kit--am I wasting my time?

ladoladiJuly 22, 2011

Hi:

I recently purchased a ceiling fan that I really like. It's one of the re-packaged big box store brands. The fan works great, but unfortunately I let myself become blinded by the style and didn't really pay much attention to it only taking 3 40 watt candlebra bulbs. The light is completely inefficient. We've got the fan in the bedroom, so it's not the end of the world, but I would like a smidge more light. I've called the big box store, who put me through to their parts department, and after days and days, essentially no one can help me because they "make over 800 different fans and have no way of knowing which parts might be interchangeable." 0.o

I've searched many of the lighting websites for light kits and googled "universal light kit." The problem is I would like to keep the glass shade on the fan, and all of the light kits I'm finding have some kind of shade involved. It's really just the small part where the 3 light bulbs screw into that I would like to replace. It seems simple enough, as all I had to do to install that piece was connect black & white wires to the fan. There wasn't even a wire nut involved; the two ends literally just plugged into each other. I'm running out for work, but could post pictures of what I'm describing later.

Anyways, my questions are:

Am I wasting my time looking for this replacement part?

I'd screw in a higher watt bulb, but I can't find a candlebra bulb higher than 40 watt. Or is that just a plain bad idea? Assuming I found one of higher wattage...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roadbike

Call the manufacturer of the fan. If anyone will have a solution they will.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 3:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladoladi

What the manufacturer said: "essentially no one can help me because they 'make over 800 different fans and have no way of knowing which parts might be interchangeable.'"

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Anyone using regular white bulbs in a clear glass fixture?
The light fixture my mom and I like best so far for...
Robyn Hoke
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
Sponsored Products
Golden Leaves Area Rug - 5' x 8'
Grandin Road
Island Gold Wall Sconce with Wicker Shade
Overstock.com
Blauet | Déjà Vu Bath Light
$687.00 | YLighting
Uttermost Bellamy Brushed Nickel And Acrylic Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Quorum International 7401-3-43 Georgia Iron Outdoor Hanging Lantern
Littman Bros Lighting