LED equivalent (or more wattage) for B10 bulbs?

writersblockJuly 31, 2011

We're looking at various options for sconces with shades for vanity lighting in the bath. Something along these lines:

Pretty nearly all the sconces we've looked at use a B10 bulb, 60 watts max, and I realize this is largely to keep from overheating the shade. (It seems to be the same whether the shade is glass or fabric, mostly, for this style of sconce.)

What I'm wondering is whether there is an LED bulb that would work here that is any brighter than the incandescent, since heat isn't a problem with those? (They do give the specs for a suitable CFL, but I can't stand the light from those.)

There will be one or two recessed overhead cans as well, but since we plan to stay here for a long time I'm thinking of the future when it gets harder to see to put on makeup. More overheads won't help with that so much. I'm just trying to figure out a way to increase task lighting, so to speak.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

There are LED bulbs in the B10 form factor today. However, they may not be as bright as, let alone brighter than incandescent B10s.

If you're only looking for sconces, either look for A lamp compatible sconces or something like the Robern Candre/ Uplift sconce.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 5:10PM
writersblock

Thanks, davidtay.

However, they may not be as bright as, let alone brighter than incandescent B10s.

Yes, that's what I've heard from the folks I know who've tried them--not even as bright as.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 6:43PM
polar_sean

To add to davidtay's post, I don't think you are currently going to find a LED candelabra bulb that is more than a 40W equivalent..and that may be pushing it a little. The issue is getting a high brightness LED into that small of package and being able to dissipate the heat (from the LED junction, not radiated heat from a filament), so that bulb life and color temperature are not effected. As LED technology improves you will definitely most certainly see higher wattage equivalents in this bulb shape.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 1:27PM
writersblock

Thanks, polar_sean. That's what I was afraid would be the case.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 5:13PM
David

Actually, the LED emitters (> 200 lumens per watt) are available today.

But only if you're willing to build your own ...

Many LED lamp manufacturers are trying to make a quick buck off yesterday's technology.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
Legacy Debut Kitchen Cabinet -designer construction
Hi, Does anyone have any feedback on this cabinet...
Lisa Smith
Need help identifying chandelier
Hello, I recently saw a chandelier that I really liked,...
Sgreen
how many lamps in a bathroom heat lamp?
Bathroom is about 140sq5 ft. What do you'll think?...
growingadvice
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
Recessed Lighting Layout for Kitchen
Hi, everyone. I know this is asked all the time, but...
firefox15
Sponsored Products
Desk Lamp: 4 in. Chrome High Power LED Desk Lamp with Flexible Gooseneck LD1007-
$32.99 | Home Depot
Simkar 83W C-Lume Architectural LED Outdoor Canopy, 5000K, 120/277V
LBC Lighting
Marblehead Palladian Bronze 14.5-Inch Height Three-Light Outdoor Wall Mounted
$129.99 | Bellacor
Domus Pendant by ET2 Lighting
$228.00 | Lumens
Egle LED Table Lamp
Lightology
Hand-woven Mandara Natural Rug (7'9 x 10'6)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™