how does LED undercabinet lighting work with hard wires?

colickyboyJuly 7, 2010

I have no idea how this all works and it's so hard to find info on this. Plus, I know nothing about electricity. Can anybody help?

I have 5 areas under kitchen cabinets that my GC has wires coming out of the wall (2 wires in each area). Do I still use a transformer to bring the 120v current down to the low voltage needed for the LED light bars? If so, how does it lower the current at each of the 5 hard-wired locations?

Specifically, I'm looking at the 100W power supply (which I assume is the same thing as the transformer?) at environmentallights.com b/c I'm interested in the light bars that they and Photonier sell. How does this work with wires coming out of walls in several different locations?

My GC doesn't think the power supply/transformer will work with the various hard wires. I have no idea...I thought it would. The environmentallights sales rep first told me it would work but then stopped helping me. Can anybody please help an electricity noob?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

Yes you do. The light bars will be on a separate circuit.

David

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 11:13AM
scottdim

You will need a separate transformer at each location if you plan on connecting to the 120v hard lines. If possible, you can run the low voltage lines in the walls and eliminate the need for additional transformers. If you are still at a stage this is an option, it will save you a little bit of $$. Check the environmental lights website, their instruction guide details everything you will need.

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 3:08PM
dim4fun

Or you can use 120V LED fixtures with built-in drivers which will work with the wiring you have.

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 7:21PM
colickyboy

scottdim - unfortunately, the wires are already in and the drywall is already up. sounds like i'll have to do a separate transformer at each location.

dim4fun - which 120v LED fixtures do you recommend? which store/web site?

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 11:20AM
dim4fun

Philips Color Kinetics or Alkco or Maxim.

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Kinetics

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Sylvania vs. EcoSmart retrofit
I have seen these two brands compared many times with...
linae
Make an impact with some LED!
I thought I would share this with everyone. We have...
Matthew Siegler
Yet another kitchen lighting plan review request
I've been reading a lot here and elsewhere trying to...
funkycamper
Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?
GW, Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is...
AndrewDK
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™