Height of Pendant Lighting Over Island

gretagargoJuly 14, 2010

I just installed a hanging track lighting system over my 8ft. kitchen island. I need advice on how high above the island I should hang the 2 hanging pendants. I don't want the pendants to be in my way and probably prefer them on the higher side since I am afraid of them being too low. If it matters, I have 4 stools across and one on each end. There are also 3 small bells on the track. The island is a plain slab in black without cooking or sink area.

Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newyorking

The taller of you and your DH should stand and the pendant should be at least 2" over the taller ones head. That is how I did it. For 8 ft ceilings, I would say that the maximum height of the pendants from the ceiling should be 20" - the 20" includes the height of the lighting fixture itself plus the hanging thread. I did the same for my dining table -- although dining table pendants can hang lower I kept them high -- and DH's head is still below it and doesn't hit it. If you want to be safer, you could do a maximum of 18". Personally I like 20", it gives you at least 6 ft of clearance unless either of you is 6 ft!

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 11:13PM
newyorking

One more thing -- the 20" should include height of the track as well. My ceilings are 8 ft 4", and I set the maximum height of my pendants at 26" which includes track height, height of hanging thread, and height of pendant fixtures themselves. It was perfect sizing.

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 11:15PM
cienza

Here's how DH & I solved this dilemna: We stood up closest to where the pendants hang. I held the tape measure to his head. We added a couple inches in case he's wearing a hat or I've got my hair up. That's where they are. The closest to the lit surface without hitting either of our heads. Not so scientific, I was really looking for a formula myself, but that is what worked.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
judydenver
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
Retrofitting off-sized recessed lighting with LEDs-Help?
We are renovating our just-purchased apartment and...
lindy74
Need help identifying chandelier
Hello, I recently saw a chandelier that I really liked,...
Sgreen
Durable Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
I would like some recommendations on quality, durable...
happs
Sponsored Products
Mario Industries Clear acrylic single duck lamp finial C68
$9.47 | Home Depot
Hand-hooked Black Awadi Wool Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
Sonneman Embassy Modern Contempo Wall Sconce
1800Lighting
Carlton Carbon Oak Saddle Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Pearson One-Light Oiled Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
$93.50 | Bellacor
522 Swing Arm Wall Sconce
Lightology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™