Undercabinet lights with a 120V tradtional toggle dimmer

kawfeeaddictJuly 9, 2011

For aesthetic reasons, we want our under-cabinet lights to be controlled with a traditional style toggle dimmer opposed to an electronic dimmer (unless one is made in a traditional style).

What choices do we have for under-cabinet fixtures? Worse comes to worse, I supposed we could use fluorescent fixtures with a regular toggle switch.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You just have to look carefully and ask the vendors (and possibly the manufactures).

All dimmers in use now are electronic.
Typical incandescent dimmers use a Triac, others use various versions of transistors that switch on the opposite edge of the waveform than a Triac.

It is very hard to dim a florescent light more than a small amount with ANY available method.

    Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 10:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Are you asking if you can dim electronic low voltage under cabinet lighting with a toggle style dimmer? I don't believe anyone makes an ELV toggle style dimmer but they do make interfaces to let some standard dimmers control most any load. Take a look at the link to a toggle style dimmer and see the note about load interfaces. With that dimmer one would add a PHPM-WBX-DV-WH interface. The catch is that this interface requires a 2g box and should be hidden from view. Locate it in a closet, pantry or cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: toggle style dimmer

    Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 1:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You could also look into line voltage LED UCL.

    Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 1:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"You could also look into line voltage LED UCL."

They still use some method to reduce the voltage applied to the LEDs.

It is this portion that may not play well with a regular triac dimmer.

    Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 2:57PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
Dining Room Lighting - Pendant too large?
I would like to remove my 6-globe chandelier and replace...
Davidtay/Others - Recommended efficient T8 bulbs?
I'm hoping that davidtay will see this but would welcome...
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
Better to over illuminate living room but add a dimmer?
187 square foot living room. electrician wants to install...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™