Dryer vent--side & back wall

lynne22October 8, 2010

Hi all, I have a question about a new dryer I just bought. I have limited space, and I measured before I purchased the dryer. Tonight when I got home, I went to whirlpool and was reading the installation guide, and it states that I have to have 5 1/2" in the back to vent, which I thought was about 4", but, I now don't think that's going to work for me. I can side vent, and there will be about 4 1/2" from the dryer side exhaust to the dryer vent, in the wall. My question is, if I am not venting to the back, how close to the wall can I put the dryer? Is there a hazard with it being close to the wall? It's the 7.4 Cabrio, and it's depth is 29 1/2". I have a total of 30 1/2" depth, so IF I can put that about 1-2" from the wall, would that be OK, would it be safe? They are suppose to deliver it on Monday, but the sooner I know this, the sooner I can cancel, or rethink the pair.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steveomc

The solution may be simple, get a tight clearance vent telescope. This will allow you to place the dryer as close as 3 inches to the back wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tight Vent from Amazon

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 10:36AM
steveomc

There are several solutions available to you. Check out my article about dryer venting.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Vent a Dryer

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 5:49PM
lynne22

Thanks Steve, I had it side vented, and it worked out fine. It barely fits front to back, but it's got plenty of room for the duct.

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
nicoletouk
Do HE TL washer really Clean?
I have had a traditional Maytag TL washer for the last...
jungleexplorer
HELP!! Dryer side vent question/Help (Samsung)
Hello! does anyone have a dryer that they had to use...
peasknees
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™