Cabinetry for washer dryer? Use Oven cabinets?

cgd1October 13, 2010

We are moving laundry to second floor and want to enclose our machines (front loaders) in some cabinetry. Contractor/cabinet sales people are suggesting a pair of "double oven" cabinets--with a drawer below, a big hole that our machines would fit in, and a cabinet above. Has anyone used a set up like this? I am a bit concerned about vibration, but contractor is not concerned. Should I trust him? The other option is to put the machines on the matching pedestals with cabinets above and side panels to make them look built in, but in that setup the contractor says we won't be able to use the pedestal drawer because of the "pan" they are installing under the washer, and given cost of pedestals, that just seems like a waste. We do not use tops for folding, so I am not concerned about losing that space. Machines are whirlpool duets, if that matters.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

Why do you want to enclose them in cabinets with a built in look. Is this to be in an open space?

I think I'd be more worried about water and steam warping the wood than I'd be about vibration. You need the pan under the washer in case there is ever a leak.

I think if it were me I'd find or build a closet to house the machines.

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 10:12PM
steveomc

Servicing the machines would be difficult, I would not enclose them. They are beautiful machines, why hide them?

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 11:07PM
cgd1

The laundry is going to be in our newly-renovated master closet/dressing room (no other place...they are now in garage!). Original plan was to have them in a closet, but then the doors to the closet would always be hanging open, impeding access to the rest of the room, etc., so we are planning to have them set off in an "alcove", but no doors. So, since this is mostly "my" space, I don't want the washing machines just hanging out there, looking utilitarian, and with all the associated junk that would be left on top of the machines, etc.. We've gone from putting a countertop over them and upper cabinets, to the idea of having them in cabinetry (but no door on the front of the cabinetry, so the machines will still be accessible (at the front, at least), for a "semi-built-in" look. Contractor plans to put emergency shut-offs, etc. in the upper cabinet (above the hole where the washer/dryers will sit) so we'd still have access to that in case of emergency (and will have pan) with drain for possible leaks.

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Favorite detergents again, please.
What are your favorite detergents (specify liquid or...
isherwood777
Speed Queen washer
When you all are discussing your Speed Queen, did you...
maylingsmom
which compact washer/dryer?
I really wanted the Miele touchtronic washer/dryer...
achase1961
Official Cheer HE Powder...Finally
I was so happy to find that P&G now offers Cheer...
kgdallas
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
Sponsored Products
Merletto Set of Four Scalloped Dinner Plates
$179.50 | FRONTGATE
Fiesta Scarlet Dinnerware - Set of 5 - 830326
$32.99 | Hayneedle
RION Furniture - COLONIAL HUTCH WHITE WASH - ARM119WH
Great Furniture Deal
'Happily Ever After Starts Every Time You Wake Up' Wall D├ęcor
$19.99 | zulily
Ethan Antique Forged Iron/Brushed Steel Four-Light Semi-Flush
$247.50 | Bellacor