Low wattage for cans

Michaeljc70July 27, 2014

I have a couple areas in my house (hallways) where there are too many recessed cans. I dont want to remove them and cant use dimmers.

My question is are there any can-type bulbs (I dont want somethingthat will look silly) that are really low wattage (or I guess more accurately, low brightness) ? I am thinking like in incandescent like 20-30 watts?

This post was edited by Michaeljc70 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 1:14

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

Led lights like the CR6 use - 9watts.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 1:28AM
Michaeljc70

Yes, but those are about as bright as a 50 or 60 watt incandescent light.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 1:33AM
David

An option would be using the 40w equivalent bulb by cree.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 1:29PM
Michaeljc70

I might try one. I still think it will be too bright. There are 5 cans in the one hall and 3 in the other. I kind of prefer just enough light so that you don't trip and kill yourself.

I use dimmers everywhere. The problem is these are 4 and 3 way switches on these and there is also a sconce that can't be dimmed.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 4:53PM
dekeoboe

Why can't you use three way dimmers?

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 9:43PM
Michaeljc70

I have Lutron dimmers in my house that cost around $40 for the 3-way and it would mean 6 of them which is more than I want to spend. Plus installing them. Plus there is a light on the circuit that cannot be dimmed (in addition to the cans).

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 9:31AM
David

You could either have one dimmer and 2 switches (4 way) for the circuit without the sconce that cannot be dimmed.

Or you could have a Caseta dimmer + pico switches mounted in wall for the circuit that can be dimmed.

Why can't the sconce be dimmed? Is it CFL?

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 9:59AM
Michaeljc70

There are sconces that use an antique-style bulb that are only 20 watts, and that cannot be dimmed (well, it can, but it is useless dimmed).

As I understand it, if I were to go with 2 switches and a dimmer, you have to know the wiring- the dimmer can't just be put anywhere.

I also don't really need dimming. It is a hallway. I need 1 set level of reasonably low light.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 10:15AM
dekeoboe

A dimmer just replaces one of the switches. Doesn't matter which one. I usually only need low lighting in my hallway too, so it is normally dimmed, but I need more light when I vacuum the hallway or otherwise have to clean the floor.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 7:05PM
Michaeljc70

I don't believe that is correct that a dimmer can replace ANY switch. They are not wired the same. There is one that goes to the light and that is the one that needs to be replaced.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 7:43PM
David

Since the discussion has turned to switch wiring...
Depending on your wiring, that could be possible (challenging) for a traditional wired multi-way setup. It's easy to mess up a multi-way circuit, so the easiest approach is to leave things be unless/ until problems develop.

With wireless switches such as Lutron's Caseta, Levity's LevNet (enOcean), you just need one switch wired into the circuit. The other switches/ remotes just talk to that master switch.

If you're planning on having a simplified switching setup, a wireless setup as described above or a Home Automation system - Lutron's RadioRA2/ Zigbee (Control4) would help.

Here is a link that might be useful: dimmers and multi-way switches

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:00PM
randy427

You could use a 5 watt CFL bulb with a low K value. This would give you a low, warm light (30 watt equivalent).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulbs on-line

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™