Using orange paint color with wood cabinetry?

joyce_6333January 24, 2014

I've been thinking of painting my kitchen an orange color..something like SW Jalapeno. Not the whole kitchen, just the wall around the window over the sink. The rest of the kitchen is SW Nomadic Desert. Everyone is telling me you cannot use orange with wood cabinets, that I should use blue or green. I currently have a blue/green (SW Halycon Green), and I am so tired of it. It's a pretty color, but don't know what I was thinking putting it in the kitchen.

Are there guidelines on what colors to use the wood cabinetry? The cabinets are premium hickory with a chestnut stain. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

I have Hickory cabinets and a color rep for Devine paints said I could use a lot of colors with it but I had to be careful with yellow tones due to the color of the Hickory.
Hickory varies so I think you'll just have to paint a section next to the cabinets and see how it looks. It'll all depend on the undertone of the orange.........and it's not like you're painting a huge area. ;)

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 3:16PM
nosoccermom

Plenty of orange kitchens with wood cabinets, e.g.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 6:21PM
kswl2

I think orange is a Great Wall color for most mid to light woods, as it is definitely present in the wood. In our office building we chose a countertop of greys and tans with a slight fleck of orange, which enabled us to not only keep the oak cabinetry but make it look intentional.

Lol, iPad editorializing again.... No I am not discussing kitchens in China!

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 11:43AM
joyce_6333

Thanks so much for responding and for the info and pictures. The color orange I'm considering is quite different than those pictures.

I've attached a pic of the cabinet with 2 colors I'm considering. What do you think? Too much yellow, or pink?

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:27PM
annzgw

I like the top color best........very similar to what I had in my MB with Hickory cabs.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:44PM
kswl2

I like the top color best....and do not consider it orange. It falls somewhere between coral and tomato. It looks good with your wood cabinets.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 1:25PM
nosoccermom

On my monitor, it looks more red than orange. I prefer the top one, too. More contrast.

Some other colors

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 1:38PM
joyce_6333

Really like the color in the last picture. Thanks!!

I'm going to give this color (SW Jalapeno) a try. It's only paint....right?

Ok, another questions, related to this. Our dining room/eating area is right off the kitchen and has beams. What do you think about painting the ceiling between the beams this same color?? Picture was taken when we moved in. I would paint over the blue with the same tan as the other walls.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 3:27PM
More Discussions
Am I looking for a soft buttery yellow or a soft buttery white?
I've the itch to paint my living area a soft yellow...something...
happyintexas
When do bronze window frames work well in the interior of a home?
I'm replacing single plane aluminum windows. My interior...
texasgal47
Ellen's Design Challenge final - spoiler alert
Spoilers below -- but, I really want to know the answer. I...
edie_thiel
Does this light go in my dining room?
LINK TO LIGHT Looking for a new light for our dining...
akl_vdb
My anniversary gift
Got a new piece of furniture the other day. Well sort...
the_foxes_pad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™