lighting for kitchen island

hilarymontvilleJune 28, 2010

Was wondering what people think of chandeliers above an island... the architect's plans show 3 pendant lights but I'd really like to put a small chandelier over the area where we will have seating for 6. I will have plenty of recessed lighting around the room as well as under caounter lighting - this is more for the look than function. The island is quite long and two levels - about 12 feet. My question is what to do with the other two spots set up for lighting. Seems odd to put plain pendants next to a shiny chandelier but I definitely need something above my sink which closer to the other end of the island.

Also, has anyone ordered crystorama chandeliers? I love one that I saw online but can't seem to find the ones I like in stores to actually look at them. Hard to tell how much they will really sparkle unless you see them in person.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michellemarie

I have a long island and plan on using the Crystorama La Vella pendants. I almost ordered a Crystorama chandelier, but I liked one from Elk better. What chandelier are you thinking about. There is a light store 10 minutes from my house that has some Crystorama chandeliers so I have seen them in person. I really think the ones I have seen are pretty. I ordered my Crystorama Lights from Lighting by Gregory. I live in Minnesota, but I believe this is one of NY City's oldest lighting stores. Ask for an additional 10% off. They gave it to me and their customer service is really good. One of my pendants arrived and the glass was broken and they didn't give a hassle at all. I recieved the new glass globe within a week. I will post a link to my stuff that shows the Crystorama lights I am using.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen stuff

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 6:49PM
hilarymontville

Now that I've been doing more shopping I'm quite sure that I am in love with a small Schonbek mini chandelier and want to put two above the island instead of one and two pendants. Has anyone done this? Does it look weird? I think I'd love it but hubby disagrees somewhat. Advice for the experts, please. Going to try to attach a picture but not sure if I can figure out how ... here goes (BTW, picture is in gold but I love the silver).

Here is a link that might be useful: Schonbek 1829 Century 1 light mini chandelier

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 9:16PM
hilarymontville

I think this is a picture of what the kitchen should look like eventually. What do you guys think about two chandeliers over the island (in particular the one I referenced in my earlier post about Schonbek but in silver tones)?

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen island layout

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
Pixi Lighting
Has anyone used the pixi lighting yet? It seems like...
stlblufan
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™