fondue question

ynnejJuly 27, 2012

I haven't ventured very far into the world of fondue. The only one I've made is the basic cheese fondue recipe. I'm wondering, if I wanted to add bell pepper and onion, could I cook it directly in the fondue pot? I saw a recipe for bell pepper fondue and they cooked it separately. Couldn't I just crank the heat up and sautee the veggies, then add the rest of the ingredients?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

A cheese fondue pot is properly made of pottery....it's pretty much a cheese melter not a device to sautee peppers and onions.
I would sautee the veggies separately and add to the melted cheese.
Just curious....will you be serving this the traditional way with bread and forks for dipping? How will the pieces of onion and peppers get picked up with the bread?
I think you would be better served to sautee up a mess of peppers and onions and serve them as a side to the fondue.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 5:30PM
slowlane

I suppose it depends on how hot your fondue pot gets. If it is possible to "crank up the heat," I don't see why it wouldn't work. The peppers and onions should add a nice flavor to your cheese even if you can't pick them up on your fork. I'd mince them very fine; that way they'll be a part of the fondue, not a separate element to try to spear.

Let us know how it goes :)

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 9:03PM
ynnej

Thank you for your responses. If I ever get this recipe right I will let you know- at this point... yeesh.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 6:59PM
nancylouise_gw

Unless you have an electric fondue pot that has adjustable temps, you should make your cheese fondue in a separate pot on the stove. Transfer the melted cheese to the fondue pot and keep it "fluid" with the heat source underneath(sturno, tea lites). Saute the minced peppers and onions in a separate pan also. NancyLouise

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 9:35PM
ynnej

Thank you, Nancy. It does have adjustable temps. I should have included that little tidbit earlier.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 9:49PM
Islay_Corbel

The problem as I see it is that if you get it hot enough to cook the onions and peppers, the cheese will be ruined. I prefer to stick to the traditional!

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 4:21AM
More Discussions
Inspire Me PLEASE!
I am currently on a very restrictive “life style...
moosemac
Help with baked eggs and a new oven
Hi - we recently got a new oven (Thermador) and my...
peggysugar
Weird "guy food" that's actually delicious?
You know what kind of food I mean? Not the kind of...
plllog
white dishes that do not scratch or chip
Looking for durable white dishes
pianopiano
What's For Dinner #338
#337 has reached over 100 posts. Jasdip, I love fried...
ann_t
Sponsored Products
Kenroy Home Remy Smoked Bronze Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Frasier Leather Sleeper Sofa - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
Abetta Gaited Square Skirt with Cushion Seat - 205046BK
$542.00 | Hayneedle
Bulldog Throw Pillow
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Nelson | George Nelson Lotus Floor Lamp - Pear
YLiving.com