Under Cabinet Transformer Help

monkeystomachJune 7, 2011

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for under cabinet lighting help. Here is my situation:

I have two separate runs of cabinet that I need u/c lighting for. I really do not want to put anymore switches on my walls. I would like LED and I would like it dimmable.

I already have the 120v circuits (14/2 romex) run in the wall to the locations. Can I hardwire the transformers to the circuit without using a conventional wall switch? I was thinking about putting a low voltage switch after the transformer.

Any other suggestions to keep these switches off my walls with a dimmable LED?



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What you do is put in your LED undercabs in and the driver is inline before the light, than the driver is hooked up to the undercabs. You don't need to add anything other than the original switch that will switch on and off the undercabs.
Sometimes the drivers or low voltage transformers (depending on type of lights used) can be placed inside the cabinets. You can also get LED undercabs that have the drivers built in, so no drivers need to be wired in. The new Philips ones are pretty good. Be sure to match the overhead lighting color temperature with your undercabs. You don't want a 4500k overhead light with 3000k undercabs, it looks bad.


    Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 9:50PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
Lighting for small walk in closet
Hello, We are about ready to build our master closet....
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™