truly instant on? cree lr6 and lr4?

la_koalaJune 14, 2010

Hi,

Is it truly an "instant on" when you flip the switch on your CREE LR6s or LR4s? No delay as with CFLs?

I mean, even first thing in the morning, after having been off all night?

I'm starting to work out more of the nitty gritty details of our kitchen remodel, and am investigating whether the CREE LED recessed lights would make sense for us. While *not* CA, we are energy conscious. We saw the LR6 and LR4 on display and think either might work for us. (Our kitchen right now is stuck in the 1950's, so anything more than the current three 60 watt incandescents would be a brightness improvement!).

One thing that annoys me about CFL bulbs is the delay to come on after you flip the switch. That's why we still have the 3 incandescents in the kitchen--tried the CFLs but the delay was really annoying. If the LEDs are going to be just as annoying, then that'll be something to ponder.

Thanks in advance for any anecdotal opinions!

Lee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

yes. No delay at all.

David

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 10:07PM
David

LED lighting is instantaneous, dimmable and has great design flexibility. I now use under cabinet lighting more frequently than LR6.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 1:15AM
housavvy

All of the above is true, and LED bulbs are expensive up front. In the long run perhaps they are not so expensive. For instance look at this LED can bulb. It's $70 up front, but only uses 6 Watts and they last a lot longer than incandescent so depending on the application and user it may be worth it.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 7:47PM
la_koala

Hi David, thanks for weighing in!

There's something about the initial light when entering the room--to see where I'm walking--that makes me so hate a delay. I don't mind the delay in places where I'm already in the room with some ambient light, and then want to flick on a particular location for some task. I have another question about the undercabinet lights, though I think I'll start a new thread on that one.

Hi housavvy, thanks for your input.
I really appreciate your point about the up front expense. The person at the lighting place we visited said that going LED was like buying your electricity "up front". That you are spending more earlier, and there will be a payback time at which you reach the equivalent. For home kitchens, he suggested that if we're going to be in the house less than 5 years, to do the lower-priced CREEs (the CR6s, if they come out in time) or not LEDs--because the payback for the lower-priced LEDs would be about 3 years, and then it gets longer the higher in price you get.

Balancing all of those things (time before payback, quality of the light, delay in coming on, etc) is key. I do know that having a delay upon entering the room is a showstopper for me personally, so hearing how things are actually behaving in real life is terrific. :-)

Thanks!
Lee

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 9:31PM
David

Lee,

Before you start another thread on undercabinet lights, there are already a number in existence, eg
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lighting/msg0311421519150.html?35

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
Accent Eyeball lighting for Artwork
Any recommendations for size and type of eyeball light?...
lake72
If we need to do smaller 3 inch recessed lights in a shower ....
Hi everyone, We are trying to work out if we can put...
ontariomom
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
texasgal47
Which would you pick for an LED step light / night light
We are in the rough-in stage of our new build, and...
Sun43
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™